Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Roses success for Badminton Club as ten points earned

The University of York Badminton Club earned ten points to Lancaster's four on a jam-packed Saturday of Roses. (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S FIRSTS 7 - 2 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S FIRSTS

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN'S FIRSTS 6 - 3 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER WOMEN'S FIRSTS

Images: Philippa Grafton and Justyn Hardcastle

The University of York Badminton club secured ten points for the White Rose after strong performances throughout the squad. Although Lancaster's side threatened intermittently, York's dominance inside the Sports Centre won out in the end.

The men's firsts fielded a side with strength in depth, with top pairing James Hor and Baillie Watterson winning their first match. Despite some difficulties in the second end, their overall class showed through, winning comfortably over three ends 21-11, 16-21 and 21-14. However, men's captain James Davies and Tim Green had more difficulties in a hard fought tie, eventually losing 21-19, 21-17. The experienced pairing of Ricky Kanabar and Paddy Clarke proved a real obstacle to the Lancaster side, winning comfortably 21-12, 21-16. Clarke openly advertised his Roses experience, his shirt sporting the 'Roses 2005' logo.

The second round of matches saw Tim Green and James Davies again lose over two ends, 21- 18, 21-17. However, their four team mates managed to continue their form. Paddy Clarke and Ricky Kanabar won out 21-16, 21-17, whilst James Hor and Baillie Watterson comfortably won 21-13, 21-12. Hor and Watterson proved to cause continuous problems for Lancaster's chances throughout the tie, particularly through the impressive smashing ability of Hor and Watterson's acrobatic skill.

The final round saw York needing a single win from their final three games. This was achieved, fittingly, by the veterans Clarke and Kanabar, who again comfortably closed out their match in two ends: 21-19, 21-15. However, the remaining matches were played out, and this resulted in two more York wins, with Hor and Watterson continuing their impressive form by winning 16-21, 21-12, 21-14, and Davies and Green clinching victory at the death, defeating Lancaster 19-21, 21-16, 22-20.

The women's side encountered a heavy defeat early on, with Rachael Farrington and Laura Suddaby losing 21-14, 21-8. However, the team recovered with a victory from Clare Breare and Jenny Eyes, who ground out a win in three ends: 16-21, 21-12, 21-11. Final pairing Beth Cowell and Louise Kemp also made light work of their opponents, besting them 21-10, 21-18.

The second round of matches saw the women again suffer an early scare with a heavy defeat. Clare Breare and Jenny Eyes had to play minutes after their gritty victory, which resulted in a 21-13, 21-3 loss. Kemp and Cowell were able to steady the ship, with a key 21-15, 21-12 victory that set York on course for the Roses points. Rachael Farrington and Laura Suddaby also smashed their opponents, 21-10, 21-13.

The women's side found themselves in a similar situation to the men, needing just the one win from their final round of matches. Louise Kemp and Beth Cowell, undoubtedly jaded after their earlier impressive exploits, quickly lost 21-6, 21-6. However, Suddaby and Farrington steeled themselves, and won very solidly 21-8, 21-9, to gift York another eight points in their push for victory. Brear and Eyes played on, finishing with a respectable 21-13, 21-14 victory.

Club president Ben McGladdery was understandably delighted with the work of his sides, stating 'I'm very happy for the team. They've done amazingly, and I'm so proud. Special credit goes to Baillie Watterson and James Hor for such a strong performance, and to Jenny Eyes, in her last performance for the club.'

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MIXED 4 - 5 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MIXED

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S SECONDS 7 - 2 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S SECONDS

An incredibly tight end to the mixed badminton, which saw Lancaster just squeeze home 5-4 to claim four points, slightly overshadowed the men's seconds as they romped home 7-2.

The men's seconds were on top from beginning to end with first pair Tom Dainty and Ollie Metcalfe and second pair James Somerside and Adam Hirst winning all their matches.

The Roses format sees a slight change from the norm in terms of BUCS fixtures as only doubles is played with a best of nine format, instead of a best of eight. One senses the White Rose would have had little trouble whatever format the game was played in however as they eased past their Lancaster counterparts.

First pair Metcalfe and Dainty won their first match against Mark Eden and Peter Tovey 21-18, 21-12 before Somerside and Hirst repeated the feat against Jonny Holland and Alex Butt (21-14, 21-19) to put York 2-0 up.

Third pair Tim Robson and Talfryn Provis-Evans pushed their counterparts Ashley Jones and Jonny Lancaster all the way but lost out 17-21, 19-21 in a close encounter.

As the second round of matches began York continued to assert their dominance as Metcalfe and Dainty beat Holland and Butt 21-14, 21-19 and Somerside and Hirst beat 21-11, 21-15 to make the score 4-1 to York with only one point needed for Roses triumph. Third pair Provis-Evans and Robson went so close to securing victory as they made Lancaster's first pair Eden and Tovey sweat for their eventual 21-12, 20-22, 22-24 victory.

York weren't to be denied for long, however, as victory was secured to provide the hosts with two Roses points. In the end the final round of matches all went York's way as third pair Robson and Provis-Evans picked up their first win of the day over Lancaster's Holland and Butt.

With York victory sealed in the men's seconds encounter attention turned to the other side of the court where the mixed side were playing out a tense encounter.

The overall Roses score drew level as the game began so the result took on more importance for York as a whole, and not just the badminton club.

The contest was neck and neck throughout but would eventually go Lancaster's way in the final end of the final match as James Davies and Laura Suddaby lost 25-23 in the last leg in front of a packed Sports Hall.

York's first pair of James Hor and Liz McFadzean won all their games, beating Lancaster's Rylander and Haul 21-19, 19-21, 21-16, overcoming Finker and Hall 15-21, 21-15, 21-13 and dismissing Woodthorp and Bennett 21-12, 21-18.

The White Rose's third pair of Bailee Watterson and Rachel Farrington were less successful, winning only one of their games as they lost 21-16, 8-21, 9-21, 11-21, 18-21 in two of their games but beat fellow third pairing Woodthorp and Bennett 21-10, 21-18.

With Davies and Suddaby losing 16-21, 14-21, and losing 15-21, 21-17, 14-21, their last game became the game upon which everything hinged. The men's seconds had by now effectively come to a close so all attention in the hall was on them as the best of three ends of badminton would earn their University four Roses points.

It started badly as Woodthorp and Bennett won their second leg of the day, which meant Davies and Suddaby would have to win the next two legs to give York the points. They responded well by winning the second leg but it wasn't to be as the final end went Lancaster's way to give them points. It has been tense and extremely hard-fought but it wasn't to be the mixed badminton side's day, despite their best efforts.