Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Ragan brace seals win for football seconds on Roses Sunday

Two goals either side of half time for Tom Ragan set the Men's Football seconds on their way to victory on Roses Sunday.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3 - 2 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Philippa Grafton

Stellar midfield performances from Ash Daly, Rob Shanley and Jacob Tapper underpinned the York comeback, but it will be James Offord who will be remembered for striking the crucial blow. Coming off the bench, Offord sealed the much deserved win for the White Rose almost with his first touch, coolly converting an Elliot Ragan pull back to the delight of the home crowd.

Despite dominating the second half, it was nearly all so different for York. Captain Dom Petschak, playing his final university game, bemoaned his sides slow start but was pleased with his sides resilience. "We came out (and played) in the second half, I couldn't fault the work rate".

Tom Ragan's efforts for his first goal epitomised his captain's words, flicking the ball on near the half way line before striding clear, keeping his cool to round the Lancaster keeper to even things up after York were rocked by a second minute Lancaster goal.

With another goal shipped on the twenty minute mark, courtesy of a juking run and finish from a Lancaster centre midfielder, York could have caved in, but instead upped their work rate to wrestle back control of the game. The decision paid dividends almost immediately, Winger Will Taylor winning a corner before whipping in a great delivery for Shanley, his header missing the left post by a matter of inches.

York would get what they deserved just after the restart; the excellent Daly splitting the defence with a slide rule ball which Ragan calmly finished low to the keepers left from a few yards out. Daly was again instrumental in playing Will Taylor with the very next attack, but caught in two minds, his drive across goal failed to test the keeper or find a York shirt.

York 'Keeper Toby Owen was a spectator for much of the second half, but would be forced to make his only save of the half on seventy five minutes, staying sharp to divert a close range header away from goal. It set the stage for Offord to have the last laugh; the James frontman finding himself at the right place at the right time to volley home from close range from Elliot Ragan's cross, wheeling away in delight to cap the comeback and avenge last year's away defeat.