Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's firsts make sure it's a weekend to remember for UYHC

The men's hockey firsts made it a day to remember for UYHC as they put three past Lancaster to add another four points to the York total (Thumbnail credit Image: Justyn Hardcastle)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-0 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Justyn Hardcastle & Philippa Grafton

The men's hockey firsts made it a day to remember for UYHC as they put three past Lancaster to add another four points to the York total. Goals from Kris Siva, George Richards and Andy Harris were enough to comfortably see the White Rose past the away side.

With the match being the end to a full day of fixtures on the JLD, the crowd were in great voice and York's fans did their best to upset their opponents. Lancaster's indoor captain Perry, a firm favourite with the White Rose faithful, copped his fair share of Roses abuse - as he did last year.

Despite this it was the Red Rose who started on top and only a great block on the line from York's Lawrie Torrington prevented them from going in front. The expectant fans were soon able to witness a goal, however, and it came at the right end as far as most of the Perry-haters were concerned. Some good work by Henry Meller eventually saw the ball fall to Siva who did well to lift it in over the Lancaster keeper.

With time running out in the first half York doubled their advantage. A Niko Bode short corner found its way to Richards and his shot found its way to the net, owing largely to a rather sizeable deflection. York were good credit for their 2-0 lead at half-time but would have remembered last year where they pegged back their Lancastrian opposition having been down by the same score at the interval - no time to relax then.

Fortunately for the increasingly drunk crowd York had few difficulties in the second half. The game was all but over as a contest as Andy Harris' men controlled possession and the tempo of the game. Much of the entertainment was being provided by the spectators with their evermore creative put-downs of the Lancaster ranks.

Sam Harriman in the York goal had to be alert, having had little to do in the first half, to prevent Lancaster on two occasions in quick succession as the second period progressed but with the home side's advantage still at two goals and Lancaster looking all the more frustrated it seemed the points were destined to belong to the White Rose.

And with time running out that was proved to be the case as captain and talisman Andy Harris added a penalty flick to make it 3-0. The flick had been awarded after the energetic Adam Tyrell had been felled as he looked to round the keeper and Harris would have been happy to see it hit the back of the net after he missed in 2010.

The men's victory meant UYHC earned 16.5 points over the weekend, to Lancaster's 2.5.