Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's and women's firsts take the points in Roses fencing

York's fencers help ensure the hosts' Roses win, taking all the points on offer against Lancaster with the men's and women's firsts emerging victorious, although Lancaster's mens' seconds edged out the hosts. (Thumbnail credit Image: Justyn Hardcastle)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S FIRSTS 125-112 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S FIRSTS

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN'S FIRSTS 127-86 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER WOMEN'S FIRSTS

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S SECONDS 86-127 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S SECONDS

Images: Justyn Hardcastle & Peter Iveson

York's fencers help ensure the hosts' Roses win, taking all the points on offer against Lancaster with the men's and women's firsts emerging victorious, although Lancaster's mens' seconds edged out the hosts.

York's men took control early on, with Pavel Guzanovs and Harry Whitwell instrumental in seeing York establish a comfortable 25-16 lead. They went on to take the Sabre by 45 points to 32, establishing a commanding advantage in the match. However a truly remarkable Lancaster fight back in the foil saw them win 14 points without reply to go 15-5 up.

Just as Lancaster looked set to pull away, Harry Whitwell won 12 straight points for the home side to drag York from 20-8 down to within three points of the visitors. This was however as close as they would get, as Lancaster took the second weapon by 45 points to 35, to leave York needing 43 points for victory. And they made no mistake, taking control of the Epe with a nine point lead, going on to win it 45-35 to beat Lancaster by 125 points to 112.

Despite being buoyed by their victory against Aberdeen in their crucial relegation playoff, York's women fell behind as Lancaster took the upper hand, winning the sabre by 45 points to 37 with narrow victories in most of the bouts. However York hit back in the foil, blowing Lancaster away as they raced to a 36-15 lead, dropping only a further two points as they won it 45-17. Needing just 25 points in the Epe, York's women cruised to victory, taking the Epe by 45 points to 24 to beat Lancaster 127-86.

Despite a spirited effort, York's men's seconds suffered defeat as Lancaster narrowly took the Foil 45-40. If the opening weapon was tight, the second was even more so as Lancaster led by just a single point heading into the final bout, edging it by 42 points to 45. Having fought hard in the foil and the sabre, Lancaster proved too strong in the Epe, taking it by a comfortable 45 points to 27 to win 135-109.