Football Roses Sport

Lancaster fire three past York thirds to take the points

A goal from Sam Mellor was the only thing the University of York thirds football team had to cheer about in a match where Lancaster looked the more vibrant team throughout, eventually winning 3-1. (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-3 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

A goal from Sam Mellor was the only thing the University of York thirds football team had to cheer about in a match where Lancaster looked the more vibrant team throughout. Unfortunately the goal came after the Red Rose had already put three past York.

Lancaster signalled their intent early but were aided somewhat by a York side who stumbled out of the blocks. A missed header from Sam Mellor meant the ball was gifted to the nippy Lancaster winger but his attempt from just outside the box soared over. Another slight mistake from the York defence was pounced upon by their opponents but Jonny Sim pulled off a great save to keep the score 0-0.

York were struggling to really make anything happen and there was a distinct lack of balls being propelled forward. Their best chance was a Ben Smith volley but the left foot effort failed to really trouble the Lancaster goalkeeper.

Back down the other end Lancaster were causing worry for the York supporters who had come out to support their team. Some nice build up play saw the Lancaster forward round Mellor but drag his effort just wide. In another tense moment the York defence just about managed to clear the ball from their own box but not without indecision and though the threat was removed, the strong sense of a Lancaster goal still lingered.

The goal finally came in the form of a fumble from Sim that fell to the Lancaster forward. He slotted it away and gave Lancaster the advantage.

After the restart York dug deep. Jamie Dorricot launched some promising balls downfield and Angus O'Brien came close to scoring with his attempt from the left side of the box but it was cleared off the line. Just as York looked as though they might claw their way back into the game Lancaster produced a quality goal that effectively sealed their fate.

A ball in from the right was met by their forward who committed to a fantastic overhead kick that Sim had no chance of getting. 2-0 to Lancaster.

The visitors made it three when their right winger outpaced Mellor and dispatched his delivery into the box which was slotted in easily at the far post.

York's only goal came from a fine strike from Mellor. The initial ball from O'Brien was to Ben Smith who cut the ball back to the defender whose shot found the bottom right corner. Unfortunately the goal came too late and York did not have time to build on it.

Although captain O'Brien stated that the effort of his team could not be faltered the result proved disappointing as it turned out to be the only loss of the day for UYAFC.