Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's hockey firsts secure four points on the JLD

The women's firsts hockey romped to a 3-1 win and earned four points for the White Rose (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN'S FIRSTS 3 - 1 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER WOMEN'S THIRDS

Images: Philippa Grafton

The women's hockey firsts continued their fine 2011 Roses record with a 3-1 win against Lancaster. The White Rose was dominant throughout and were unlucky to not have won by a bigger margin, nonetheless goals from Frankie Hall, Hannah Gage and Emily Lucas were enough to secure the four points.

York were on the front foot from the off, their pressure earning a string of early penalty corners which called for some desperate defending by Lancaster. The Red Rose did manage to cause one scare when a counter-attacking through ball sent the Lancaster forward through one on one with Beanie Usher in the York goal, but Usher stood up well and produced an important save.

Generally though York were very much on top, Rachael Faustino dribbling into the Lancaster D at will; her regular forays continually resulting in scares for the away side. Not to be outdone, Charlie Bartlett also went close as she surged forward, beating a couple of Lancaster defenders before forcing a save from the Lancaster keeper.

Finally York's breakthrough came 25 minutes in thanks to some great work by Frankie Hall, weaving past the Red Rose defence and firing into the bottom corner. Lancaster were limited to speculative balls up field but this almost paid off when three of their forwards broke with only Sally Warrington back for York, Warrington coped brilliantly though; executing a perfectly timed tackle to break up the attack. The White Rose went in at the interval with a well earned lead, but may have been wondering how they weren't further ahead.

The game was more even after the break, although York remained the clearly superior side and indeed they extended their lead when Faustino worked well down the right flank, putting in a cross that Hannah Gage pounced on to make it 2-0. York barely had a chance to enjoy their lead though when the umpire judged them to have illegally broken up a rare Lancastrian attack; awarding a penalty stroke which was converted to put Lancaster right back in the game at 2-1.

York did well to stop any Lancaster momentum as they continued their flowing attacking game, eventually killing off hopes of a comeback for the away team when Emily Lucas turned her marker cleverly in the D before beating the Lancaster goalkeeper with a well placed shot. Things looked even brighter when Lancaster had a girl sin-binned for talking back to the umpire.

In the end York were simply too good for a Lancaster team which actually played this BUCS season a tier above the White Rose. It was a great team display, marked by some impressive individual performances from the likes of Faustino, Bartlett and Laura Pepper.