Rugby Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Sevens success seals UYRUFC whitewash

The men's rugby team wrapped up a successful Roses with a clean sweep of the rugby sevens matches (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S FIRSTS 24 - 7 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S FIRSTS

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S SECONDS 38 - 12 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S SECONDS

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S THIRDS 40 - 0 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S THIRDS

Images: Peter Iveson

The men's rugby team wrapped up a successful Roses with a clean sweep of the rugby sevens matches as the thirds won 24-7, the seconds 38-12 and the firsts a resounding 40-0. Despite Lancaster's Rugby teams entering the weekend on a wave of optimism after ending their regular season on a high, Tom Weir's men took all of the eleven rugby points on offer.

The thirds got UYRUFC's Sevens campaign up and running with the now expected dominance. This despite an early scare for the White Rose as Niall Walsh was forced to make a crucial try-saving tackle when Lancaster looked to have found an overlap. It wasn't long before the thirds hit their stride, Lancaster struggling to deal with their pace as the York moved into a 7-0 lead.

Then came perhaps the highlight of the Thirds' clash; Rishi Naidoo, the XV's big Number 8, charged up the field, handing off a Lancaster defender for ten yards before off-loading to James Ramm who accelerated over the line. The excellent Walsh then danced his way round a Lancaster winger, doing well to keep his feet out of touch, and sprinted over an unguarded try line to stretch the lead to 17-0. Lancaster's scrum-half did pull five points back after speeding off from a scrum but any thoughts of a comeback were quickly dashed when Walsh went over again.

The seconds' contest played out in similar fashion, this time York's star performer was Aaron Rolph who bagged a hat-trick of tries for the White Rose. Lancaster only got off the mark thanks to a questionable refereeing decision; a last gasp tackle on a Lancaster player ushered him into touch as he looked set for the try line, the crowd applauded only for the official to judge the tackle to be high; he thus gifted the Red Rose a penalty try. Lancaster did grab one more try but with the score at 38-12 and just seconds left on the clock it was to be nothing more than consolation..

It fell to the firsts then to complete the whitewash. They raced into an early lead when Ryan Johnston and then Will Felgate dived over for York. Lancaster lacked much Sevens nous, too often taking the ball into contact or kicking for territory as if playing XVs, York never looked like losing and were able to enjoy themselves. Gabriel Adebiyi swandived over for his first try after a lovely kick and chase which saw him blaze past the Red Rose defence, to the delight UYRUFC's supporters. The firsts added more tries to extend their lead to 40 points and even kept a clean sheet as Lancaster gave up hope on salvaging anything from their weekend.

York captain Tom Weir stressed how the club's success was down to a great deal of hard work; "all those morning fitness sessions paid off, we'd hoped and trained for our third Roses whitewash in a row so it's great to achieve it. It's good to stay up there as York's premier sports club".