Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's and women's firsts earn points in indoor football

The men's indoor football firsts - a hastily assembled team following some miscommunication - and the women's indoor football firsts both won on a busy Saturday of Roses (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN'S FIRSTS 7 - 5 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER MEN'S FIRSTS

Images: Peter Iveson, Philippa Grafton

York were victorious in the men's firsts Indoor Football, edging a physical encounter 7-5. The White Rose's team was a hastily assembled outfit, kick-off actually being delayed to allow a team to be thrown together, so they have good reason to be pleased with claiming the all important Roses points.

York opened the scoring with a free kick from Dom Hallas, scoring the first of his brace, further goals from Ash Daly, Tom Clarke (2), Alex Tringham and Matt Mawdesley gave York the win. York were the better team throughout in a game marked by sometimes overly physical challenges, with the Red Rose's goals predominantly coming from the odd mistakes by York.

York skipper Ash Daly stressed he was "pleased to win a good physical battle", concluding that the key to success was that "we took our chances in front of goal".

The confusion that meant the firsts had to be delayed put pay to the men's indoor football thirds where the point on offer was surrendered by York via forfeit, while the seconds lost 11-6 in a pulsating and high-scoring affair.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN'S FIRSTS 6 - 3 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER WOMEN'S FIRSTS

York's indoor women's footballers were impressive in dispatching their Lancastrian counterparts 6-3. With the exception of a couple of nervy periods of play, the White Rose can be more than pleased with an authoritative performance that rarely saw them on the back foot.

York settled into their game quickly as Charlotte Boott hit the bar and skipper Katy Ballantyne forced a good save from the Lancastrian goalkeeper. Ballantyne eventually found the back of the net a few minutes later, York continued to build on their good start with another goal, this time from Jess Atkinson.

The White Rose wasn't to have it all its own way though as it relied on some brilliant shot stopping from keeper Megan Phillips to keep Lancaster out. This was followed by a crucial interception by Zoe Ponton, cutting out a pass on the edge of the D which would have surely been buried by the onrushing Lancaster forward.

Ballantyne added her second; York's third, after creating a yard of space for herself with a clever touch before slotting the ball into the Lancaster net. Lancaster refused to lie down though, firing in two goals in quick succession to give them hope of a comeback, the second coming from a rare mistake by the otherwise excellent Phillips in the York net, the ball rolling agonisingly under her misjudged dive.
York responded well, Ballantyne hitting the post, reacting well to the shock of Lancaster's quickfire double.

The home side continued to pile on the pressure and were eventually rewarded when Ballantyne completed her hat-trick. But the captain was not done yet, she went on to add her fourth to cap her brilliant personal performance. The midfielder had been at the centre of York's positive play, carrying and distributing well to her teammates as well as pressuring Lancaster when not in possession.

Gaby Stewart then added York's sixth from a tight angle down on the left flank. Lancaster did pull back one more goal from a penalty after Ponton was judged to have stepped inside the box, but it was to be nothing more than a consolation.