Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Four wins out of six gives York's rowers the points

Lendal Bridge was the site of York rowing team's win in this year's Roses. Lancaster claimed the first and last races of the day but were no match for York in the middle section where a series of relatively comfortable victories sealed the points (Thumbnail credit Some of York's rowers in action at this year's White Rose Head. Image: Courtesy of UYBC)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 12 - 8 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Lendal Bridge was the site of York rowing team's win in this year's Roses. Lancaster claimed the first and last races of the day but were no match for York in the middle section where a series of relatively comfortable victories sealed the points.

Things did not look so good for the home team initially when Lancaster claimed - by little more than half a length - the women's senior four race. Four points to Lancaster.

Lancaster's confidence was dented however when the white rose triumphed by three lengths in the women's novice four. As they came into view around the bend it looked like York already enjoyed somewhat of a lead and they maintained their advantage to cruise to two points.

The men's senior four team repeated the substantial margin of victory to take York's overall total to six points. This was expanded on again by the men's novice eight squad who produced a powerful finish to sneak it by little more than a third of a length in what was a tight race.

The women's senior eight team set off with added pressure on them for a win would seal overall victory for York. It was tight going under Scarborough Bridge but York glided home to assure success for the rowing squad.

With just pride up for grabs in the last race it was perhaps surprising that it turned out to be the most exciting. With both teams in the men's senior eight neck and neck approaching the middle of the course the crews collided and York were cascaded off at the wrong angle. Lancaster made it out relatively unscathed and took full advantage of their good fortune to cross the finish line while the York team zig-zagged their way down the Ouse.

It was an unfortunate way to end proceedings but York celebrated in the knowledge that they had repeated their victory from two years ago.