Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Football firsts produce superb performance to secure victory in Sunday show piece

Determination proved imperative to victory for the York mens football firsts as they added a late flourish to a sterling Roses victory for the White Rose, beating their Lancaster 1-0 thanks to a goal from Dan Atherton and an imperious performance from centre back Josh Baines.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1 - 0 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images Justyn Hardcastle

A blustery 22 acres played host to a game that was filled with incident but lacking in quality, as both teams battled with vigour but struggled to manufacture any concerted cohesion going forward. York started with a 4-4-2 formation and in the scrappy opening stages the packed Lancaster midfield seemed to be winning the battle.

As the first half wore on there were few chances to speak of although York looked increasingly dangerous. Tom Clarke was a muscular presence up top and produced a moment of real quality to illuminate the Yorkshire gloom, pulling an Alex Tringham ball down as it dropped over the shoulder and shooting across goal in one fluid movement. The Lancaster goalkeeper was scrambling but ultimately gathered in relative comfort. The home side were mainly limited to attempts from distance and Captain Conor Brennan blazed over after neat interplay with Nav Jabarkyl and Jack Beadle shot from the right hand angle.

Atherton also looked dangerous on the left and overcame persistent foul play from the Lancaster right back to get in some dangerous positions. Matt Mawdesley was booked for a couple of niggly fouls but York would have been pleased with their first half showing despite being unable to break the deadlock.

The second half started much the same as the first as both midfields tried to exert themselves on the game. A substitution proved the turning point as former UYAFC Captain Mark Mcleod came on for Jabarkyl. In the run up to the game the news had been that Mcleod would not play due to academic commitments. His absence before kick off did nothing to suggest that anything had changed but he arrived on the 60 minute mark and was introduced soon after.

He soon set up the opener and proceeded to run the show throughout with a casual flair. He speared a free kick into a perfect area and Josh Baines was there to divert a powerful header goalward. It came back of the Lancaster goalkeeper and Atherton was on hand to tap home.

Lancaster had a golden opportunity to restore parity from the spot under ten minutes later as the otherwise flawless Baines slid in on the byline. He appeared to have got the ball, and perhaps some of the man, but it proved a controversial decision. Regardless, goalkeeper Tim Green made a sublime save, diving low to his left and getting a solid palm on the ball.

It was York that went on to dominate from there and some attractive football featuring Clarke and Brennan lead to an Atherton left footed effort rattling the bar. Jack Beadle made way for Phil Taylor and Brennan moved out to the right wing. The languid frontman made a real difference in stabilising his team and he was involved as the Lancaster Captain was sent off for dissent.

He gathered the ball on the half way line and set off on a strong run down the right hand channel as his marker chipped away at his ankles. The ball looked as though it had rolled out on the right hand touchline but it wasn't given. Taylor then used his strength well to shield the ball and was chopped down unceremoniously by the defender. A free kick was given and in the aftermath the Red Rose Captain accused York manager Peter Renton of being a cheat. The referee had no hesitation in sending him off.

York could have extended their lead from the spot moments later as Clarke skinned his man on the left and was clearly brought down illegally. Brennan took responsibility but hammered the ball high and not very handsome. They closed the game out well from there.

After the match Captain Brennan said his side were "Really good overall, I couldn't fault the effort of the lads. It could of been different as the ref decided to take centre stage with the penalty. Josh Baines has been brilliant at the back and Dan Atherton worked so hard on the left."

Peter Renton echoed his Captains sentiments: "We really hit top gear today, Tom Clarke was terrific up top and Baines was colossal at the back. I just wish we could have had him at the start of the season, if we had we perhaps could have gone up."

Liam Condron Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

I wish someone would refer to me as 'colossal' without following it with liability

rory Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

A big congrats from el presidente of UYRUFC (uu ruff ka)