Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York enjoy more success in seconds indoor hockey

York's seconds indoor hockey teams secured three quarters of the Roses points on offer in a frenetic couple of matches in the tent this afternoon (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

York's seconds indoor hockey teams secured three quarters of the Roses points on offer in a frenetic couple of matches in the tent this afternoon.

Four late goals spiced things up in a rather drab women's seconds match - the first of the weekend's hockey fixtures - before the men's seconds comfortably dealt with their Lancaster counterparts.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN'S SECONDS 3-3 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER WOMEN'S SECONDS

The women's seconds kicked things off at midday, and it was the home side who had the first chance with an early penalty corner charged down by the Lancaster goalkeeper. York were unable to assert any kind of dominance, though, and it wasn't before Lancaster scored the first goal of the day. Some York backchat was punished with a warning and some neat passing from the resulting free hit presented Lancaster with the first clear cut chance of the match and a low shot across goal from the right.

The game was being played almost entirely in the York half, but the home side's defence remained resolute, swatting away a series of Lancaster short corners. When York did muster an attack, it was equally well-defended by the Lancaster back line.

Some thought York had managed an equaliser late on in the first half, but despite the ball crossing the Lancaster goal line play was brought back for an earlier infringement.

True to form, Lancaster stared the second half the brightest and had doubled their lead soon after the restart. A succession of chances fell to York in the ensuing moments to reduce the deficit to one goal, but their was no way through a solid Lancaster defence.

With the match approaching its conclusion a Lancaster victory appeared inevitable as York struggled to create any goalscoring opportunities of note, but anyone who thought the match was simply going to peter out had another thing coming. Four goals in the closing stages of the second half put a whole new spin on things - York got their first of the game through Jill Mercer, before Lancaster restored their two goal lead within minutes.

York heads didn't drop though and with just a few minutes remaining, first Natalie Montezuma, then Hannah Gage struck for York to level the score at 3-3 before the final whistle.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 6-2 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER SECONDS

The men's seconds followed, in what was a more straightforward affair for York. Lancaster never really got going and seemed unable to cope with York for large portions of the match, venting their frustration accordingly.

Within a couple of minutes York took a lead which they never gave up. A penalty corner flicked between two outstretched Lancaster sticks by Simon Murphy made it 1-0. Duncan Sills picked up the ball in the middle of the field and proceeded to run through Lancastrian challenges down the right before rifling the ball across goal past the Lancaster keeper for York's second.

Lancaster had barely had a shot on goal before York scored their third. A shot from a penalty corner was blocked by a foot on its way towards goal, demanding a penalty flick converted by Mark Inman.

Lancaster pulled one goal back just before half time, the ball creeping past York keeper Thomas Chevins after taking a deflection from a York stick but despite that setback, York looked good value for their lead.

Lancaster's goal did little to inspire the visitors, though, and they seemed to start the second half in a worse mood than they ended the first. Excessive complaints forced the umpire to issue the first yellow card of the Roses and Lancaster faced an uphill task to claw back the two-goal deficit with one less player for five minutes.

A second penalty flick allowed York to re-take their three-goal lead and, but for a fantastic diving save it from the Lancaster keeper, it would have been five within minutes.

Lancaster did, though, improve as the second half wore on and York had had to rely on some great last-ditch defending to maintain their lead in the face of consistent pressure. A penalty flick gave Lancaster a much-needed goal and Chevins in the York goal made a terrific triple save to maintain York's lead going as we approached the final few minutes of the match.

After defending three successive penalty corners, York finally broke away for Laurie Torrington to score York's fifth goal of the game and calm any nerves Lancaster's period of pressure may have been causing.

As the game came to an end, Lancaster's irritation reared its head again with a crunching tackle against the wall - a more common sight in ice hockey rather than field hockey - resulted in a second Lancaster sin bin.

York's Mark Inman put the cherry on the cake for himself as well as his team, calmly stroking home York's sixth - and his third - and final goal when one-on-one with the Lancaster keeper. York's four-goal victory added one point to the overall total for the White Rose.