Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's rugby sevens can't prevent Lancaster wins

The women's rugby sevens firsts and seconds both came out on the wrong side of their matches against Lancaster (Thumbnail credit Image: Justyn Hardcastle)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 7-17 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

The women's rugby sevens firsts suffered a 17-7 loss to Lancaster despite starting the better on a crisp Friday of Roses 2011.

Amee Wilson finished off a try for York within the first few minutes of the game, after Emma Nugent had run from the halfway line making the score 7-0 early on after being converted.

However from then on York was under constant pressure from the Lancaster women; and after good tackles by Nugent and Angharad Ball Lancaster powered down York's left hand side to bring it back to 7-5.

Wilson managed to break over the halfway line, but it wasn't long before Lancaster were increasing the pressure again and scored a converted try with another run down the left wing making the match 12-10 at half time.

Wilson, along with Viviam Nguyen, were having great games, making many vital saving tackles in York's half before Wilson fell to injury midway in the second period.

Despite solid defensive work by all of York's women, a fumble by Allyson Walsh let Lancaster through to add the final score and make it 17-7.

Aime Miller, the Firsts Team Captain, commented on the fact that Lancaster "kept on breaking through" but stressed that "the 15 a side is our main game and now we know what they have got to offer, we are ready for tomorrow."

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 5-21 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER SECONDS

York's women's rugby sevens seconds succumbed to a 21-5 defeat to Lancaster in an injury-hit match on a soggy pitch.

York started well, having the opening few minutes in Lancaster's half, with Fiona Parr making some good runs into Lancaster's defence; however, they came under increasing pressure as the first half continued.

They eventually fell behind to a good run down the left flank of York's defence by the Lancaster number 18 who also converted the try.

Lancaster hit once again just before half-time with their number eight running past Parr to score. Parr had made some important tackles and good runs but had to retire after falling to injury in the second half.

A powerful break from Alex Khoo, running three-quarters of the pitch from inside the York half to score, brought the match back to 14-5 early in the second period. However the try was unconverted, and soon after the Lancaster number 16 managed to break through the middle of York's defence and, after being converted, brought the score to 21-5.

Valiant defensive play by Khoo and Emily Wells stopped any further scores but York failed to make any more inroads into the Lancaster defence despite the bright start.