Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Superb Kirkwood century gives York the points in men's cricket

A match-winning century from Andy Kirkwood sealed victory for York's men's cricket firsts in their Roses clash with Lancaster today (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER 237-9
UNIVERSITY OF YORK 238-5 - YORK WIN BY FIVE WICKETS

A match-winning century from Andy Kirkwood sealed victory for York's men's cricket firsts in their Roses clash with Lancaster today. The visitors batted first and managed to post a competitive total of 237 and York found themselves in a spot of bother at 63-4 but Kirkwood, along with Krishna Memon and Will Felgate, held the innings together and saw the White Rose over the line to seal four potentially vital Roses points.

Despite winning the toss and electing to bat, Lancaster failed to make the positive start they would have hoped for. Pinned down by the highly effective attack of Will Felgate and Tom Williams, they limped to 26-0 off the first ten overs. Having survived the early pressure, Jack Aspden looked to inject some urgency into the visitors, hitting back to back boundaries before he was trapped leg before wicket by Felgate for 25 just as he had begun to look dangerous.

Felgate nearly added Tom Isherwood moments later as a return catch just evaded him. Alex McDonald struck with his second ball, clean bowling Godfrey Plewes for a laboured seven as York took firm control of the tie. It was not long before Mcdonald had his second victim, taking a good low catch off his own bowling to dismiss Ed Marky, leaving the visitors on 44-3.

However York's fielding was to plague them all afternoon as George Richards put down a chance off his own bowling he should really have held before seeing Alex Kirkpatrick put down Pervis off his bowling.
York came out firing after the drinks break, with McDonald taking his third of the afternoon moments after the restart to reduce Lancaster to 69-4.

Having been dropped a few overs before, Tom Isherwood's battling innings finally came to an end with the reintroduction of Will Felgate into the attack as he edged one through to Andrew Kirkwood who took a good low catch. It was not long before Felgate got his third of the afternoon as he dismissed Sam Walsh leg before wicket to leave Lancaster tottering on 109-6.

However Lancaster's lower middle order fought back. New man Joe Woznicka combined well with Johnny Millwood as runs began to flow. Although the pair rode their luck, most notably when Millwood survive a cast iron stumping chance courtesy of a fumble by the wicketkeeper, they continued to find the boundaries and added over 70 runs for the seventh wicket.

Although Alex Kirkpatrick did eventually dismiss Woznicka, the momentum had swung and York continued to give away runs with Matt Weller and Johnny Millwood forming a successful partnership before the latter was dismissed for 22, with Lancaster eventually posting a score of 237-9 off their 50 overs.

York started positively with the partnership of Fraser Crawford and Alex McDonald looking to put their side on the front foot.

Crawford was looking to continue on from his impressive start to the season and the beginning of his innings was full of his usual confidence and peppered with boundaries all around the wicket. Unfortunately for him, and York, he fell to a great catch at point to leave the home side at 32-1.

With the weather casting a shadow over proceedings York soon lost another wicket and found themselves at 44-2. Alex McDonald was the next man to go, trapped leg before wicket. At this point the score was 51-3 and York were tottering.

The weather that had previously threatened to cause problems then meant the covers were brought on but with Lancaster's players eager to get back on play was suspended for the best part of 40 minutes.

When play was resumed York's Hanson lost his wicket, seeing his stumps disturbed and leaving the score 63-4. It was at this point that Kirkwood combined with Krishna Memon and put on 91 runs for the fifth wicket to really stabilise the York innings.

When Memon fell with the score on 154 York still needed 74 runs for victory and Felgate and Kirkwood knocked them off in style. Felgate was aggressive, perhaps because he needed to get to the Huntingdon Stadium to represent the rugby firsts, and Kirkwood was dismissive of every bad ball. They ran particularly well and kept the run-rate ticking over very nicely.

In the 45th over Kirkwood sealed both a century and victory for his side and gained a precious four points for York in what had generally been Lancaster's day before his heroics.

Listen!