Netball Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Mixed bag at the netball as point gained by both sides

York and Lancaster gained one point apiece as the visitors came out on top in the Netball College Select fixture while the White Rose took the honours in the Netball College Winners match (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

ALCUIN 15 - 21 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER FOURTHS

A late rally from Lancaster fourths secured a point for the Red Rose in a tense affair in the tent this morning. Carrying a three-goal lead into the final quarter, Lancaster stretched their lead by a further three goals during the final quarter to ensure the first Roses points of the day went to the away team.

York, represented by the Alcuin College side, started tentatively, allowing Lancaster to take advantage and move into a lead which they maintained until the beginning of the second quarter. Footwork problems were the cause of the majority of turnovers in the first quarter but after the first interval Alcuin upped their game, netting three unanswered goals to level the scores at 5-5 and get on level terms for the first time in the match, and then progress to a 7-5 lead.

The Lancaster goalkeeper was having a particularly good game, preventing the Alcuin attackers from taking advantage of the good goal circle positions in which they found themselves. And her teammates at the other end of the field found their feet again, snatching back the lead with three unanswered goals of their own to put themselves 8-7 ahead at half time.

Alcuin enjoyed a spell of dominance in the third quarter but struggled to make their possession pay. The home side managed just three goals in the quarter to Lancaster's five - a poor return given the frequency of goalscoring opportunities - meaning a considerable reversal would be required from the Alcuin girls in the final quarter to take back the lead they so briefly held in the first half.

Alcuin scored the first goal of the final period, but such a resurgence wasn't forthcoming as Lancaster responded with two points of their own in quick succession. Alcuin missed a couple of opportunities to close the gap but in reality it they wouldn't have changed the result: Lancaster took advantage of a tiring Alcuin team and were punishing in racking up a further six quick goals to put the result well and truly beyond their opponents. Alcuin responded with a couple of consolatory goals in the final moments but the result was never called into question and Lancaster finished with a healthy six-point lead, winning 21-15.

JAMES COLLEGE 35-21 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

The team from James College proved too strong for Lancaster in an exciting game at a packed sports tent. York led from the first whistle and never looked like relinquishing their lead.

York goal attack Rachel Bunce put up the points for York early on and benefitted from some precision passing from Shannon Dixon. Lancaster had spurts of good play but trailed 5-3 at the end of the first quarter.

York made a quick start in the second and extended their lead to 8-3 as Bunce was able to tidy up any misses from goal shooter Tessa Russel. But then, without really doing anything wrong, the home team were clawed back to 9-7. Lancaster displayed a touch of flair with some unlikely goals but were behind 13-8 at half time.

York came out quickly in the third quarter and extended their lead to 17-11 as Bunce and Russel solidified their partnership up top. Cue the Lancaster comeback. A number of goal attempts were converted - with their goal attack covering a lot of ground and generally causing a nuisance - to make for an interesting final quarter with the score set at 20-17 in York's favour.

The red rose got within two with an early basket but then five in a row from York effectively put the game to bed when the score reached 25-18. While Lancaster could muster only another three baskets, York surged in front finishing the game on 35, a total of fourteen better than their opponents.