Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Lancaster batter the York Ultimate Frisbee team indoors and on the 22 Acres

The Ultimate Frisbee opened badly for York, as they threw to the waiting Lancastrian side to start the game, but things quickly worsened. A younger, more inexperienced York side looked outclassed as the Lancastrians stormed to a 15-0 win earlier today on the 22 acres.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0 - 15 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Justyn Hardcastle

Worth four points, the Ultimate Outdoor Open saw Lancaster score inside the first minute, creating a momentum that the York side could not cope with. Play from the opposition looked fluid, with the Red Rose making good use of the wings and their faster players to exploit the York defense.

When starting with possession, York made some effort to push forward but often failed to successfully link more than three passes together. Some promising moves were made when passing moved quickly between the York players, however set moves quickly seemed to become stagnant as the taller, all-male Lancaster side blocked and intercepted with ease.

The Lancaster team rarely saw a dropped disc, connecting their passes. They favoured long, arcing passes into the endzone, and quickly drove the score to 7-0, and the break in proceedings. A frustrated York captain, Cameron Godfrey, made a concerted effort to rouse something from his team, but it had little effect as the game resumed and the Lancastrians maintained their domination of the endzones.

Being a self officiated sport, fouls are decided amongst the players themselves. The Lancaster side seemed happy to back down and return York possession if a foul was called, and at times, it seemed to be the only way York might touch the disc. However, the self officiation was refreshing to see as the two sides amiably resolved issues amongst themselves. Whether the decisions made would have been called by a referee remains to be seen.

The finishing score for the game was set at 15, and the Lancastrians pushed on to victory, with no return from the disappointed York side. Ultimately, the away side sat back and enjoyed their vastly superior play, relishing in some impressive scoring, particularly from instrumental Lancastrian player, Will Doole. The Lancaster captain was pleased with events: "It was good, and went exactly as we'd planned." He commented on York's performance: "They probably didn't deserve no points, but they lacked consistency. Ultimately we deserved to win, and have taken all three frisbee wins today."

York Captain, Godfrey, was eager to point out his team's inexperience: "they were stronger and better, but we played well as a team. We're a young team: a lot of these players have made it into the first team in their first year, so it'll be interesting to watch them grow and take over."

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 4 - 13 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

York's Ultimate Frisbee team fell to a disappointing 13-4 defeat against Lancaster. Despite the first half of the game being a tight affair, Lancaster's impressive possession and movement eventually proved too much for the White Rose.

Lancaster had begun the match as the better team as they went about establishing a commanding three point lead. To their credit, the home side responded well, skipper Cameron Godfrey driving York forwards and by the ten minute mark the game hung in the balance; Lancaster having a narrow 4-3 lead.

The Red Rose, however, quickly recovered from York's rally and begun to keep the disc well which combined with constantly high work-rate as they sought to lose their markers. York clung on to the game initially as scores went up to 6-4, but Lancaster went on to register seven unanswered points as York struggled to cope.

This was a strong Lancaster side and as Godfrey exclaimed after the game; there was no shame in losing to such an impressive outfit.