Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Clinical Lancaster make the men's hockey thirds pay for their inability to convert pressure into results

Clinical Lancaster collected the first point of Roses Saturday in the men's hockey thirds, absorbing prolonged periods of York pressure before striking ruthlessly on the counter-attack either side of half-time (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0 - 2 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Peter Iveson

Clinical Lancaster collected the first point of Roses Saturday in the men's hockey thirds, absorbing prolonged periods of York pressure before striking ruthlessly on the counter-attack either side of half-time.

Goals from Phil Yates and Roly King delivered the Red Rose victory in a decent game, but York will be wondering how their dominance, inspired by the direct play of Gordon Harrison, failed to deliver at least a share of the spoils. A healthy crowd lined the JLD Astroturf for the first course in Saturday's hockey feast and it wasn't long before York were driving at the heart of Lancaster's defence, searching for the killer pass.

But for all their enterprising play, chances remained scarce in the opening 20 minutes. The best fell to the ironically-named Joe Lancaster, who received a Sam Mason pass and drove low across the face of goal. And the hosts paid for failing to capitalise on their bright opening when Yates tapped in from close range, after a short corner had been neatly worked. The opener snapped Lancaster out of their malaise and York goalkeeper Dong-Oh Shin saved expertly with his stick to prevent a second minutes later.

Still York finished the half on top, applying pressure with a succession of short corners, and coming within inches when Harrison's shot was deflected to safety off the thigh of the Lancaster goalkeeper. The second period continued in much the same vein, with York seeking the equaliser and Lancaster content to sit back and defend. The set-piece opportunities were regular and only a blur of sticks blocked efforts from Joe Lancaster and Robin Willows.

Mason's feeds into the 'D' were hindered by a very dry patch of turf, but, once the York player had adapted his deliveries, chances were presented to Mylo Scurr and Harrison, only to be blocked in a crowded box. Mason himself had a dramatic moment - thrashing a shot into the Lancaster goalkeeper's helmet - only for play to be pulled back for an earlier infringement.

Having controlled the half, there was a lingering sense that York would pay for their profligacy. Duly, the second goal arrived with five minutes remaining, as King produced a low, angled drive from the right-hand side of the 'D'.

University of York Squad: GK. Dong-Oh Shin, 16. Ben Rogan, 35. Jon Waghorne, 22. Robin Willows, 69. Tom Sherwood, 39. Mylo Scurr, 42. Jack Barber, 7. Gordon Harrison, 8. Guy Cullen, 24. Oli Phillips, 34. Rupert Lee, 79. Joe Lancaster, 28. Sam Mason