Other Sports Varsity Web Exclusives Sport

Men's seconds badminton produce effortless win

The men's badminton seconds easily won 7-1 on the second day of Varsity to secure York three more points (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 7

UNIVERSITY OF HULL SECONDS 1

The Yorkies stormed to a resounding 7-1 win over Hull yesterday afternoon. Hull had to forfeit points in the singles after they turned up a player short, a foreboding start for the visitors who were outclassed by the impressive hosts.

York's number one seed in the singles Talfryn Provis-Evans got things underway against his opposite number from Hull. A close first end saw both producing synchronised moments of good and bad play, the Hull player just clinging on to claim it 23-21. Fortunes were reversed in the second when Provis-Evans came back strong to win 21-11. The deciding game was a close-fought affair, with Provis-Evans finally succumbing to his Hull opponent 22-20.

The top singles match proved, however, to be the only blemish on an otherwise impeccable scorecard for York. York's top-seeded doubles pairing of Oliver Metcalf and Tom Dainty took on their opponents and dispatched of them in convincing fashion with a 21-10, 21-4 win. James Somerside and Adam Hirst, York's second doubles pairing, were just as impressive winning 21-12, 21-11 and making it 3-1 in total points to York at the half-way stage.

badminton 053

Image: Philippa Grafton

After having considerable time to warm up Tim Robson took to the court against the Hull number one in the second game of the singles. Robson performed admirably and looked cool-headed against his flustered opponent, getting the better of him 22-20, 21-16.

The two doubles teams made it an easy victory for York with Metcalf and Dainty winning 21-14, 21-7, and Somerside and Hirst - York's second seeded doubles - destroying Hull's firsts 21-3, 21-6.

Hull could have done without having to forfeit two points before the first shuttlecock was struck, but up against such an in-form York side one would do well to argue against the points having gone in York's favour anyway. A thoroughly deserved win for the home side.