Volleyball Web Exclusives Sport

Volleyballers defeated by strong Manchester side

The men's volleyball firsts lost their second successive game to another extremely strong side, this time losing 25-27, 9-25, 19-25 to Manchester University (Thumbnail credit Image: Justyn Hardcastle)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0 - 3 MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY (25-27, 9-25, 19-25)

York's Volleyball team fell to a 3-0 defeat against Manchester University as they continued their disappointing run of form. In a game which may have decided who will eventually occupy the vital third league position, and thus definite passage into the play-offs, York were left frustrated with their performance despite improving on last week's loss to Leeds Met.

York started brightly as the two teams generated an exciting atmosphere in the Sports Hall, managing to establish a 14-10 lead before the first time out was called. Their impressive defensive display was particularly effective against the increasingly frustrated Manchester team. After a second time out, however, the Mancunians rallied; forcing their way back into the set thanks to a series of powerful spikes. The teams then proceeded to trade points, eventually being locked at 25 all in the set's tense finale. Heartbreakingly for the home team, who had led for the vast majority of the set, it was Manchester who completed their comeback to take the set 25-27.

Manchester started the second set as they finished the first; as they raced into an early lead. York were clearly struggling to put the first set behind them as wayward passes and a variety of other unforced errors crept into their play. In stark contrast, Manchester were in a buoyant mood, comfortably taking the set 9-25. Team captain Jonas Pollex described his team's second set performance as a "disgrace".

Two sets down and playing poorly, one might have expected York to capitulate. But this spirited team showed glimpses of their potential in a tight opening to the third. There was a definite improvement, but York still proved unable to stamp out costly unforced errors. Frustratingly, Manchester were hardly forced to produce scintillating volleyball, as they relied predominantly on York mistakes for their points. This story continued for the rest of the set, which Manchester eventually claimed in a competitive 19-25.

Pollex highlighted Manchester's quality as a team which regularly reaches the last eight, adding that York "wouldn't have to face teams of that quality every week". All in all, York will have been left wondering what might have been had they been able to finish off that vital first set, but they can definitely take heart from their week on week improvement and will look to continue this trend in their next game.