Football Web Exclusives Sport

Halifax and Goodricke complete Plate line-up

Halifax and Goodricke seconds reached the Plate quarter-finals with convincing wins at the back end of last week (Thumbnail credit Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle)

HALIFAX SECONDS 4
VANBRUGH SECONDS 0

Halifax seconds took the lead early on as a fumbled long range effort was blasted home by Ben Rea. He would double his tally around 15 minutes later beating a defender to a cross to poke home. The goal was followed by a preiod of halifax dominance as Luke Charles, Harry Pearson and Jonny Williamson all went close.

A sparkling third from Joe Woods, a half-time substitute for captain Jamie Gibbs, effectively killed the game as a contest. Woods was slid in beautifully by Alex Reid and finished neatly to crown an impeccable build up. De Border finished off the excellent performance glancing in expertly from an Alex Reid corner.

Tempers frayed throughout the match and it will be interesting to see how players react as the competition, in both forms, reaches it's later stages. Halifax set down a real marker with their win and proved that, just like their firsts, they believe they can go all the way.

Halifax v Vanbrugh, 17/06/2010, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Halifax seconds looked very impressive in their 4-0 win against Vanbrugh seconds on Thursday. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle

Vanbrugh Seconds: James Wilson, Tom Spring, Josh Gilboy, Ash Lockyer, Mark Comber, Jamie Clark, Vest Waterson, Matt Scaysbrook, Alex Williams, Sasha Bonomally, Max Poynter-Hall

Nouse Man of the Match: Tom Spring

Halifax Seconds: Dean Hansen, Sam Dempster, Dom Petschak, Tom Patrickson, Harry Pearson, Jonny Williamson, Jamie Gibbs, Eamon Geoghagan, Alex Reid, Luke Charles, Ben Rea

Nouse Man of the Match: Ben Rea

GOODRICKE SECONDS 3 WENTWORTH SECONDS 0

Goodricke secured their passage to the Plate semi-final with a stylish victory over Wentworth seconds, Sam Lewis capping the scoring with a finish of the highest quality right on the full-time whistle to add to earlier goals from Dave Coupland and captain Nick Dheir to firmly state their claim as one of the favourites for this section.

The attacking trio were instrumental in taking control of game that was marred by blustery conditions throughout. After seeing an early chance from defender Ollie Braid smash the cross bar, the centre back somehow avoiding to be picked up at the back post to strike the ball on the half-volley, Goodricke found themselves frustrated in seeing the ball become lodged in the midfield. Yet they would not have to wait too long to see the deadlock broken, Coupland finding himself with plenty of time on the left to cut in past two defenders and place a right side foot finish from the edge of the area across Wentworth keeper Dan Horsfall, the stopper's dive merely a token gesture to the quality of the strike. Coupland would again provide the outlet for another through ball, the striker staying onside to flat-foot the Wentworth back four, but Horsfall was to get the better of their personal battle this time, saving with his feet after charging off his line to meet the striker on the edge of the area and keep Wentworth in the tie, in a half where chances at the other end were sparse.

With any real attacking creativity seemingly anonymous for the postgrads, they were creating the best chances at set pieces, a long Rich Rhodes throw meeting the head of James Cousins at the near post, but any sort of power in the resulting header went awry, ballooning helplessly into the arms of Matt Brennan. They would rue the chance almost immediately, with Dheir and Lewis exchanging a sharp one two near the area to put in the former, the midfielder smashing home near post from eight yards out to settle the tie. Lewis would cap a fine individual performance at the death, curling a dazzling right foot shot into the very top of net in almost a carbon copy of the goal he scored in the group stages.

Goodricke v Wentworth, 18/06/2010, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Dave Coupland opened the scoring for Goodricke seconds in a comfortable quarter-final win. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle