Football Web Exclusives Sport

Halifax edge into semis with penalty win over Goodricke

Mark Lund was the hero today as Halifax firsts beat Goodricke on penalties to move into the semi-finals of the College Cup (Thumbnail credit Conor Brennan saw his spot-kick saved by Ed Foster. Photograph by Arran Bowen-la Grange)

HALIFAX FIRSTS 1 GOODRICKE FIRSTS 1 (HALIFAX WIN 10-9 ON PENALTIES)

Billed as potentially being the match of the tournament, Halifax firsts vs. Goodricke firsts did not come even close to disappointing, with Halifax edging into the last four after an epic 22 penalty shoot-out.

Goodricke's goalkeeper Ed Foster, who has been Goodricke's hero this competition and hadn't conceded before today, saw his effort saved by Halifax captain Mark Lund, who had himself decided to don the goalkeeper strip midway through the match. It was a cruel end to the tournament from one of its outstanding performers so far, afterwards captain Dave Coupland nominated him as both Goodricke's man of the match and tournament: "It seems so unfair that we conceded one goal all tournament and then went out because our goalkeeper missed a penalty. I'm absolutely devastated, we matched them today."

Goodricke entered the match confidently, having played excellently in the group stages, but pre-tournament favourites Halifax gave arguably their best performance of the term so far. They started strongly, with Jack Beadle playing well in midfield Joe Brennan causing Goodricke's Dan York problems down the right hand side. The game exploded into life after twenty minutes, Conor Brennan shooting just wide of goal and then later turning athletically in the middle of the pitch to start a fantastic move with Jack Beadle that ended with Ian McKellow sending a shot just wide. Soon after, Goodricke had an excellent chance to go ahead when Eddie Kris spilled the ball just in front of Coupland, but he was able to rectify his mistake just in time. The first half ended, and Halifax had just edged it.

The second period was arguably the best yet in this year's competition, with an abundance of both quality and excitement. Somewhat surprisingly, Kris was brought off for Alex Reid, with Lund moving into goal - a decision that would prove a masterstroke when Lund's saves later kept his side in the competition. Within minutes of the restart Halifax had a deserved lead, Eamonn Geoghagen sending a perfect pass to Ian McKellow, who cheekily chipped the ball over Ed Foster.

After the match Lund complimented his side for their impressive performance: "It was a good game today, we should have won it in the sixty minutes."

Goodricke 1sts vs. Halifax 1sts, 15/06/10, Photo: Arran Bowen-la Grange

The game's decisive moment as Halifax stand-in goalkeeper Mark Lund guesses correctly to repel his Goodricke counterpart Ed Foster's spot-kick. Photograph by Arran Bowen-la Grange

Yet Goodricke were to show strong resilience after going behind in order to take the game to penalties. Straight away Coupland had two good chances: A Ben Smith pass presented him with a one-on-one with Lund but he somehow sent his effort over the bar, and shortly after he appeared to be through again but was adjudged to have tripped Halifax defender Dan Turley.

Goodricke continued to press for the equaliser, dominating play for the first time in the game. Smith forced an outstanding save from Lund, and the Halifax skipper was forced into action again shortly after when he blocked a powerful header from Chris Grayland. The Goodricke defender caught the rebound, but shot wide.

Adam Leadbeater, of Goodricke, and Jack Beadle, of Halifax, tussle for the ball in midfield. Photograph by Arran Bowen-la Grange

Halifax were creating chances of their own, with Geoghagen and Joe Brennan both taking shots but failing to hit the target and, after Beadle was fouled by a frustrated Josh Barker, a McKellow free-kick forcing a save from Foster. Yet when Smith and Coupland both beat the 'Fax defence again but sent their efforts wide, it looked as if a lack of confidence in front of goal was to cost Goodricke their place in the competition.

However, with barely more than five minutes remaining, Grayland struck again, heading a perfect corner kick ferociously into the back of the net. The 'Fax pushed everyone forward, and Goodricke needed a Leadbeater clearance to stop them retaking the lead, but the match was heading to penalties.

After Dan York and Mark Lund had both comfortably sent the opening kicks home, Ben Smith sent a poor effort well wide. His deflated expression said it all and, when Foster saved Conor Brennan's effort straight after, he ran straight to the goal line to congratulate his goalkeeper. An incredibly tense shoot-out followed, with the next 16 penalties being sent home successfully. Goodricke thought they had it, and cheered passionately, when Foster got a hand to Jack Beadle's effort, but the ball slipped behind him and into the goal. So close to being a hero, Foster then stepped up for his own effort, but Lund was able to block it and, almost inevitably, the Goodricke keeper was then unable to stop Joe Brennan's attempt. Halifax celebrated wildly, as Goodricke ran to commiserate Foster, knowing that they had overcome an in-form side and that they are now only one step away from the College Cup final.

Chris Grayland rises unmarked to power home Goodricke's equaliser. Photograph by Arran Bowen-la Grange

Halifax firsts line-up: Eddie Kris (Alex Reid), Mark Lund, Dan Turley, Tom Smith, Dom Petschak (Alex Tringham), Joe Brennan, Eamonn Geoghagen (Ash Daly), Jack Beadle, Ian McKellow, Tom Ragan, Conor Brennan

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Dan Turley

Goodricke firsts line-up: Ed Foster, Niall Walsh, Chris Grayland, Dan York, Sam Astbury, Sam Lewis, Adam Leadbeater, Josh Barker, Ed Silson (Rob Shanley), Ben Smith, Dave Coupland (c)

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Ed Foster

Anon Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

This was a cracking game of football.

Lundyyyyy groupie Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Mark Lund, what a man, captain and keeper. King.