Football Web Exclusives Sport

Vanbrugh proceed to the knockouts as Halifax bounce back

Vanbrugh secured a berth in the College Cup quarter-finals with another impressive display, thrashing Langwith seconds 6-1. Afterwards, Halifax returned to form with a 2-0 win over James seconds (Thumbnail credit Photograph by Maggie Aslet)

There was a quick turnaround for the teams in Group B as Vanbrugh firsts hoped to build on their memorable 3-0 win over Halifax firsts on Friday, while the pre-tournament favourites were hoping to respond against James seconds.

VANBRUGH FIRSTS 6 LANGWITH SECONDS 1

A hat-trick from Phil Taylor helped Vanbrugh firsts to a convincing 6-1 win over Langwith seconds today, as the boys in green continued their fine form having defeated Halifax last Friday. The gulf in class was clear for all to see, despite Langwith's best efforts, as Vanbrugh played some very attractive football from first to last.

As well as Taylor's hat-trick, Ali Prince, Liam Regan and Dan Radford also managed to get their names on the scoresheet while Matt Derry bagged a consolation for Matt Wilcox's side.

The signs were ominous for Langwith right from the outset; starting with only ten men on the pitch once again it was backs-to-the-wall stuff straight from the kick-off as keeper Tom Lambert made three nice saves to keep the score at 0-0. It was a matter of when, and not if, and Prince duly obliged by finishing smartly across the goalkeeper.

Some good work from Regan down the left set up Taylor to score the first of his three and already Vanbrugh's class was shining through; their focus on attractive and attacking football clear for all to see. A contender for goal of the tournament was up next as Taylor shot home from 20-yards into the top corner of Lambert's net.

Everything Vanbrugh were attempting was coming off and had Dan Radford's 60-yard volley found the back of the net it would perhaps have been the best goal any member of the crowd had witnessed. As it was, his sweetly struck clearance only found the back of the nearby hockey net.

With all the play in Langwith's half, they surprised everyone by pulling one back. A throw-in from Bruce Starkey was latched on to by Derry, who hadn't been picked up by a sleepy Vanbrugh back four, and he poked home past Paul Taylor in the Vanbrugh net. This seemed to rile Vanbrugh who restored their three goal advantage immediately as Taylor secured his hat-trick; a cross from the impressive Ben Stanier on the right found the man in form who made it 4-1 at the break.

Langwith began the second-half with a 4-3-1 formation, having lost goalscorer Derry through injury. They looked better in the second-half, carving out a few opportunities for themselves and not allowing Vanbrugh the goal rush they might perhaps have suspected but their resilience did eventually break as Regan won the ball on the edge of the area and grabbed himself the goal that his performance thoroughly deserved.

It was now champagne football from Vanbrugh as they basked in the York sunshine. Willed on by the spectators on the touchline, Radford had an effort from 20-yards and his luck was in as the ball found the bottom corner of the Langwith net to make it 6-1. Jonny Grout, Ben Lowe and Dan Hewitt all had efforts saved in the closing moments of the match as every member of the Vanbrugh team tried to get in on the fun.

Langwith skipper Matt Wilcox commended his side's efforts: "It was a better second half and a good effort again from everyone" and Langwith seconds can be proud of their efforts in the cup so far, playing very much against the odds but always giving their all. Vanbrugh joint-skipper Paul Taylor had more to be positive about: "It was a good solid performance, and we're delighted to get through the Group Stages". On today's performance Vanbrugh are definitely a team to be feared, and might be good bet to lift the trophy. HC

Maggie_Aslet_014

Vanbrugh picked up where they left off against Halifax on Friday, producing an exciting, free-flowing brand of football that proved too strong for a depleted Langwith. Photograph by Maggie Aslet.

Vanbrugh Firsts: Paul Taylor, Dan Hewitt, Dan Radford, Ben Lowe, James Carr (Ash Lockyer), Ben Stanier, Jonny Grout, Vest Waterman (Jamie Clarke), Phil Taylor, Liam Regan, Ali Prince

Nouse Fantasy League Man of the Match: Liam Regan

Langwith Seconds: Tom Lambert, Mike Newton, Matt Wilcox, Michael Palmer, Liam Condron, Patrick Khosravi, Duncan Sills, Matt Derry, Cameron Craig, Bruce Starkey

Nouse Fantasy League Man of the Match: Mike Newton

HALIFAX FIRSTS 2 JAMES SECONDS 0

Halifax played out a comfortable 2-0 win today, yet the pre-match murmurings suggested it would be very much a case of the team getting to know each other again, after being visibly rocked against Vanbrugh last week. Sometimes, however, the simple things can make a big difference to alter a performance. The formation, simplified to 4-4-2, the effervescent Joe Brennan returning on the right wing to give Halifax yet another attacking outlet, and, crucially for Halifax and faith in their captain, the restoring of Jack Beadle to the starting line-up, the diminutive midfielder producing the goods with two goals and bagging the Man of the Match award. But perhaps the biggest sign that Halifax had rebounded from the shock loss was the manner of the team performance, the flowing football that we are more used to returning with a vengeance - Halifax arguably should have had many more if it wasn't for Sam Clitheroe and the robust James backline, who denied them on countless occasions.

With Lund opting to freshen things up, including a debut for Jake Mundy in place of the maligned Eddie Kris, the decision to do so seemed to pay dividends from the first whistle - the midfield duo of Beadle and the excellent Ash Daly in particular having more freedom to dictate the play in the 4-4-2. It would be from Daly and his precision football that should have led to 'Fax opening the scoring. A perfectly weighted chipped pass through the centre found Tom Ragan bearing down on goal, only to be denied by Sam Clitheroe, the James stopper expertly sweeping the ball away from Ragan to deny a certain goal.

Clitheroe was to have a busy afternoon and was, at times, the only thing standing in the way of Halifax turning the game into a rout. He was to be called on again moments later, making a fantastic reaching save to divert the ball low around the left post to deny Beadle, after great link-up play to be put in by an impressive outside of the foot pass from Daly.

Yet for Halifax it seemed it was a case of when, rather than if they would score, the breakthrough finally coming early in the second-half, but preceded by more Clitheroe heroics - first to deny Ragan from point blank range and then pushing away a Daly snapshot from twenty yards. He would be helpless, however, to the quality displayed in the opening goal. Good play from skipper Lund, overlapping on the right wing, allowed him to square to Beadle on the edge of the area who had time to pick his spot and fire past Clitheroe's outstretched right arm into the side of the goal.

In fairness to James, who had set up to pack the midfield and stifle Halifax, chances were rare, but they could count themselves unlucky not to level later in the half. The best falling to the goalie turned striker Tim Green, with Halifax 'keeper Mundy having to be at his best to thwart him initially before subsequently throwing out a foot to deny Jody Rolfe to score on the rebound.

A goal conceded would have been harsh, but the game was all but over minutes from time with Beadle again applying the finish, turning the ball into the right hand corner after a driven cross from the right wing. Normal service resumed for Halifax, who on another day could have had five or six, while James seconds will be a tough prospect for any team drawn against them in the plate. DA

Maggie_Aslet_011 (2)

It was imperative that Mark Lund's Halifax recovered from Friday's disastrous performance against Vanbrugh. Their 2-0 success against James seconds (playing in yellow bibs) was businesslike and delivered three essential points. Photograph by Maggie Aslet.

Halifax Firsts: Jake Mundy, Tommy Smith, Dom Petschak, Dan Turley, Mark Lund, Alex Tringham, Ash Daly, Jack Beadle, Joe Brennan, Conor Brennan, Tom Ragan
Substitute used: Alex Reid

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Jack Beadle

James Seconds: Sam Clitheroe, Nick St George, Sam Gibb, James Worthington, Jonny Hyde, Dave Williams, Tom Prifti, Matt Vermeulen, Ben Cooke, Tim Green, Jody Rolfe
Substitutes used: Alex Collins, Jack Fisher

Nouse Fantasy Football Man of the Match: Sam Clitheroe

Celestine Babayaro Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Next...