Football Roses Sport

Miserable afternoon for football club

If Roses had a low point, this was it. At the final whistle Lancaster celebrated the 3-1 victory loudly, but it's fair to say that even they would have not enjoyed getting there

If Roses had a low point, this was it. At the final whistle Lancaster celebrated the 3-1 victory loudly, but it's fair to say that even they would have not enjoyed getting there. Torrential rain, a near unplayable pitch and an understandable lack of support led to a game devoid of quality and with few extended passing movements, let alone clear cut chances.

Yet Lancaster deserve credit for making the best of the poor conditions and keeping York's attack quiet throughout the second half. In the opening stages York striker Conor Brennan frequently found his way through the Lancaster defence and linked well with Alex Tringham to score York's first goal. After taking the lead in the second half, however, the Red Rose defended solidly and held on to take a deserved victory.

The early stages were uneventful and, with the small crowd in attendance, one could be forgiven for thinking they had gone to the wrong match, and were not watching one of the tournament's most anticipated fixtures.

After twenty minutes Conor Brennan finally found a way through the Lancaster defence, but sent his shot straight towards the keeper. The game opened up, and soon after Lancaster were ahead. York keeper Sam Clitheroe let the ball slip out of his hands from a free kick and the Lancaster striker pounced on the opportunity to give his side the lead.

York were soon level and enjoyed their best period before the first half. At the interval captain Mark McLeod criticised his team for not being ahead, stating that they had the quality to see the game out. Yet in the second half York were unable to regain the fluidity of the first and, as the rain got heavier, the game reverted back to the disjointed scrap of the opening stages. York had chances to equalise - Ian Mckellow fighting his way into a good position only to send a poorly weighted cross past the box and Dan Cox finding space in the box but being unable to fire a clear shot at goal - but in reality rarely threatened in a turgid second half.

York celebrate Conor Brennan's strike in dreadful conditions on Saturday afternoon. Photograph by George Lowther.

Club President Greg Gardner said that the team were "extremely disappointed" with the result: "We were the better team but failed to capitalise and got what we deserved. I'm happy with the
spirit and effort from everyone but things just didn't fall for us today."

York did pile on the pressure in the final minutes but their hopes of taking any share of the Roses points were denied with a scrappy Lancaster goal in the final kick of the match.
The result capped a bad day for UYAFC. The women's firsts lost 5-0 earlier in the day and the men's seconds and thirds both lost, the former also suffering as a result of the poor weather.