Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York outclassed as Lancaster dominate in the pool

A dominant Lancaster display sent both York teams to defeat in the showdown at the swimming pool today (Thumbnail credit Photo: George Lowther)

YORK UNIVERSITY MEN 48
LANCASTER UNIVERSITY MEN 64

YORK WOMEN 34
LANCASTER WOMEN 76

A dominant Lancaster display sent both York teams to defeat in the showdown at the swimming pool today but, with the York teams missing a number of key swimmers, they can take heart from producing a gutsy performance on the biggest stage of the year.

A supremely confident Lancaster entered the day as favourites in both the men's and women's, with the Lancaster women claiming a placing at the BUCS Finals within the last year. The men's teams also entered with a swagger - Lancaster Swimming Club President Michael Boyd proclaiming that the Red Rose were demanding a "clean sweep and we expect the same margin as last year". Boyd was even satisfied that his team were at their peak condition despite missing the crucial Lancaster Roses boot camp only weeks before.

The confidence of Lancaster was clear to see from the very beginning of the proceedings, racing out to win the first four races. But Boyds' confidence in a whitewash was to be shattered by a stunning performance from York's Raymond Wade in the 50m Butterfly, much to the delight of his poolside teammates.

Both York teams needed to start winning races quickly to have any chance of shifting the tie in their favour. The halfway break saw York's women battling for pride, but the men's team were within touching distance of their Lancaster counterparts, being separated by five points with only the long distance races left. The feeling in the York men's camp during the break was one of optimism, with the whole team confident they could produce a shock result over their opposition, the points format in the swimming meaning an outright win is often difficult.

Sadly it was the classic case of too little, too late for York with Lancaster utterly dominant in winning all but one of the remaining races, even with a textbook swim from Michael Tansini in the 100m backstroke to lead York to their only 1-2 finish of the day. At full strength, the York showing would have probably been better, but credit should be given to a well-prepared Lancaster who stated their dominance today.

The whole event was overshadowed by one competitor having to be taken to hospital after suffering an asthma attack in the pool. Nouse understands she was later discharged and is recovering on campus.