Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Spoils shared in Friday badminton fixtures

York's mixed badminton team comfortably beat their Lancaster opponents this afternoon, but the men's seconds were less successful, losing 5-4 (Thumbnail credit Photo: Peter Iveson)

YORK MIXED BADMINTON FIRSTS 7
LANCASTER MIXED BADMINTON FIRSTS 1

YORK MEN'S BADMINTON SECONDS 4
LANCASTER MEN'S BADMINTON SECONDS 5

York's mixed team demolished their Lancaster opponents in the first of the Roses weekend's badminton fixtures.

Victory was sealed when a 21-18, 21-12 victory from thirds pairing James Davies and Laura Suddaby put York 5-0 ahead. Captain Nattha Tritasavit said before that it was "not going to be an easy game" but in the end only her pairing, with brother Thanut, were unable to win all three of their matches. The captain said that everyone had played excellently and had won due to having "pairings that compliment each other."

The men's seconds were less successful, falling to a 5-4 defeat despite winning their first three games. York were cruising until the pairing of captain James Somerside and Andrew Roberts lost an epic three set game, the final set going finishing 25-23. York's other pairings then also lost, setting up a tight, winner-takes-all encounter between Somerside/ Roberts and the Lancaster top ranked pair. Their opponents raised their game to take the match-up, and the two Roses points, for the home side.

The men's and women's badminton first teams will play tomorrow.

Spelling Bee Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Its Robert.. not Roberts

Grammar Pantha Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

It's not its, and there should be a full stop at the end.

I'm a SPELLING bee... dont really care about about grammar.

Also- it's PANTHER not PANTHA... unless you are referring to to 1990's comic book hero?