Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Depleted York take share of Judo points

Despite having to forfeit two of their five contests, York were able to take two Roses points from the Judo this afternoon (Thumbnail credit Photo: Peter Iveson)

Men's >90 kg Lancaster Win
Men's <90kg Lancaster Win
Men's <81kg York Win
Men's <73kg Lancaster Win
Women's <57kg York Win

The Great Roses Exam clash controversy reared it's head again as a depleted York Judokas had to forfeit two of their five contests today, unable to field competitors in both the men's over and under 90kg categories.

With two points already lost, a heavy defeat was on the cards after captain Robert Baker lost the first match to go ahead by an Ippon manoeuvre - much to the delight of the home support crowded around the mat.

However, York fought back strongly in the final two encounters. Jonathan Coe quickly scored a match ending Ippon of his own with a skilful Haraigoshi throw to take the men's under 81kg to gain York's first point.

Maria Janssens then came through a hotly contested women's over 57kg bout, eventually triumphing, scoring two Wazari throws to secure victory. The second of which achieved with an impressive Yoko Otoshi.

The action was concluded by somewhat farcical scenes as the final two Lancastrian combatants were required by the officials to step out onto the mat and complete the formalities of bowing before being declared victors in the absence of their opponents.

However, it is York who will leave with their heads held high having taken two out of the three bouts in which they were able to compete.