Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Defiant frisbee-ers undone by Lancaster comeback

A defiant performance by York's mixed ultimate frisbee firsts was not enought to beat an impressive Lancaster team in the outdoor event this morning (Thumbnail credit Photo: Peter Iveson)

YORK OUTDOOR FRISBEE FIRSTS 11
LANCASTER OUTDOOR FRISBEE FIRSTS 15

A defiant York Ultimate Frisbee team were defeated by a deceptive four point margin today, in the face of vociferous home support. Early dominance from a York side led by captain Jamie Abernethy was slowly eroded as Lancaster grew into the match, scoring five consecutive points to take a 6-4 lead.

York's commitment was undoubted but their fitness levels were found wanting as their opponents played with a verve that gradually quietened the prolonged screams of "Yorkshire!" hanging on the cold Lancashire winds. Cameron Godfrey sparked a surge of resistance, taking a miracle catch from a gargantuan Steve Eyre throw as York pulled the scores back to 12-10.

Just when the momentum seemed to be with the away side Lancaster summoned a confidence that did not match their fragile lead, snatching two quick points to effectively end the contest. The frenetic spectacle ended with a strangely muted point, given the flamboyant catches that had typified the encounter. On a morning that York sport will not remember fondly, those squarely behind the White rose will hope that the spirit of the ultimate team will prove prescient as the 46th Roses heads toward the decisive stages.

Captain Jamie Abernethy said that his team were "simply awesome" despite their loss with Press and Publicity Officer Chris Young stating that he was "obviously gutted" although he and his team had "played their best in a game that was played in a spirit which is healthy for our on going rivalry".