Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Bode hat-trick sees York take Indoor Hockey spoils

A hat-trick from Nico Bode saw York record a memorable win in the Mens' Firsts' Indoor Hockey and snatch the overall Indoor Hockey points victory by 3.5 to 2.5 (Thumbnail credit Match-winner Bode celebrates the victory)

YORK MEN'S FIRSTS 5
LANCASTER MEN'S FIRSTS 3

YORK WOMEN'S FIRSTS 1
LANCASTER WOMEN'S FIRSTS 1

YORK MEN'S SECONDS 2 LANCASTER MEN'S SECONDS 2

YORK WOMEN'S SECONDS 2
LANCASTER WOMEN'S SECONDS 5

A hat-trick from Nico Bode saw York record a memorable win in the Mens' Firsts' Indoor Hockey match by 5 goals to 3.

A spirited second-half display saw off a strong Lancaster side in a high-octane encounter, to snatch the overall Indoor Hockey points victory by 3.5 to 2.5.

Trailing 3-1 in a physical encounter with 15 minutes to play, two goals from Bode after a Nick Latcham short corner saw York take the lead with only 4 minutes remaining.

Weathering a swathe of Lancaster attacks, York held on to their lead before Latcham added a beautifully struck second with the last hit of the game.

Billy Walsh and Captain Andy Harris provided trouble for the Lancaster defenders all match, with Walsh on the wrong side of some questionable refereeing decisions throughout.

Both sides had goals disallowed, and Lancaster missed an early penalty flick before Bode's first squared the tie at half-time after the hosts took an early lead through one of the games many short corners.

The Mens' Firsts' needed to win to take the overall victory, after the Womens' Firsts and Mens' Seconds were held, and the Womens' Seconds fell to a 5-2 defeat.

The Womens' Firsts will be disappointed with their 1-1 draw, after dominating possession throughout the game. Imy Eldergill-Storm's long-range effort took the lead early on, before a Lancaster short corner pegged them back before half time.

Charlie Bartlett was undoubtedly the best player on the pitch, and in conjunction with defensive partner Eldergill-Storm ensured Lancaster rarely troubled goalkeeper Beanie Usher after their equalizer.

Barlett's marauding runs from the back provided a plethora of chances for strikers Laura Pepper and Rachael Faustino, but with three disallowed goals for the visitors - including the last shot of the game - Lancaster held on for an unlikely share of the points.

The opposite was true in the Mens' Seconds, with a last-minute short corner for the hosts denying York a deserved win.

Goals from Mark Inman, who cut through the Lancaster defenders all game, and Michael Giblin looked set to hand York the victory, but frantic attacks from the home team found a way through the tight defensive pairing of Luke Featherstone and Giblin to win the last-gasp short corner.

Lancaster's only victory came in the Womens' Seconds, as York fell 5-2 to the hosts. Trailing 3-1 at half time, York were unable to convert a number of short corners, and despite pulling a goal back through Rachel Knighton, their opponents scored two second-half goals against the run of play to secure the points.

Yet Bode's heroics saw York win the day with the outdoor matches to come tomorrow. Hockey President Sophie Hossack told Nouse she was "incredibly proud of the squads," and was looking forward to getting on the Astroturf.

Kit Kat Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Cannot wait to get on the pitch tomorrow, make some lancastrians look silly. Currently hating exams. Quality Indoor from UYHC!