Roses Sport

Rowing absent from schedule for 46th Roses tournament

The timetable for the 2010 Roses competition between York and Lancaster has been unveiled, though Rowing, the tournament's inaugural event, will be missing (Thumbnail credit York celebrate another success in last year's rowing regatta, which they won 12-8. Photograph by George Lowther.)

The timetable for the 2010 Roses sports tournament is nearing completion, but with one notable omission.

Rowing, the event which started the annual contest between the universities of York and Lancaster in 1965, will be absent from the schedule after the two sides accepted the regatta could not be staged over the tournament weekend. It would be the tenth occasion on which rowing has not been included.

An alternative date of the weekend before Roses was also deemed unsuitable because it lies before the start of York's summer term and the Boat Club would have been unable to raise crews. The Roses weekend of Friday 30th April, Saturday 1st May and Sunday 2nd May clashes with BUCS Head, an event in which both universities are due to compete.

It remains uncertain whether York will be forced to forfeit the 20 points on offer from the rowing events or whether they will be declared null and void. Emily Scott, the York Sport President, and Sue Wynes, her Lancaster counterpart, have been negotiating throughout the holiday to try and find a resolution.

The Roses Constitution gives contradictory advice on the situation: under its terms, all BUCS-affiliated teams are expected to compete in the tournament unless they indicate otherwise before a mutually agreed deadline of 1st April. York claim that they met this deadline, but the issue has yet to be fully resolved.

Ashley Haycock, President of the Boat Club, expressed regret at the situation but conceded they were left with little option: "I was told that as long as we pulled out before April 1st it would be fine, so I did on the 29th March. Lancaster are now being difficult about this.

"Due to it being the holidays, we are short of people and cannot force them to return to York. With exams starting on the Monday and our BUCS Regatta the following weekend, many people are reluctant to take two weeks out of their busy exam schedule. This is mainly relevant to the senior crews; with regards to the novice crews the club cannot afford to send them without the seniors. Transport for them and their boats would cost around £300.

"Do not think this decision was taken lightly. I for one was gutted at not being able to go but I have discussed this with Emily [Scott] and the senior captains and it was not feasible. We are so closely matched with Lancaster this year it would have been a good race but with the top crews short of key members it would not have been a fair competition."

Dan Steele, the senior men's captain, added: "I am gutted that we cannot race Roses this year. Having been part of the winning crew last year, as men's captain this year I would have loved to have attempted to win and lift the trophy on behalf of my squad.

"From the apparent lack of co-operation from Lancaster in reorganising the dates when they already know how unrealistic the current dates are, we are hard pushed to accommodate what they have suggested.

"It is a ridiculous situation given that the beginning of Roses was founded with the rowing race and I am sad to see it happen without it."

The past few months have seen protracted negotiations between the respective Athletic Unions over the timing of events and the number of points on offer, although many events rumoured to be axed this year remain in the schedule.

The event will commence on Thursday 29th April with the men's firsts cricket fixture at Lancaster Cricket Ground, before getting fully underway the following morning. Friday's highlights include indoor football and hockey, swimming, snow sports, darts and pool.

Saturday's schedule includes table tennis, fencing, netball, squash, hockey, volleyball, football and rugby sevens before the tournament concludes on Sunday with tennis, lacrosse, basketball and rugby union. The closing ceremony, where Scott will hope to be celebrating York's fourth consecutive Roses victory, is at 4.30pm.

Exhibition events this year include debating, cycling, rounders, It's a Knockout and running, while representative teams from College Sport will contest netball and football matches on the Sunday.

Nouse will be bringing you comprehensive online previews in the next few weeks, as well as the best coverage of the tournament itself on our website, Twitter and in a special souvenir supplement in week two.

THE SCHEDULE IN FULL

Thursday 29th April
CRICKET Men's Firsts (11am, Lancaster Cricket Ground)

Friday 30th April
EQUESTRIAN First and Seconds Teams (10am, Riding School)
INDOOR FOOTBALL Men's Thirds (10am, all Main Sports Hall); Women's Seconds (10.30am); Men's Seconds (11am); Women's Firsts (11.30am); Men's Firsts (12pm)
SNOW SPORTS Skiing Mixed and Women's; Snowboard (5.30pm, Rossendale)
FRISBEE Open (12pm, Football Pitch One)
INDOOR HOCKEY Women's Seconds (12.30pm, all Main Sports Hall); Men's Seconds (1.30pm); Women's Firsts (2.30pm); Men's Firsts (3.30pm)
BADMINTON Mixed and Men's Seconds (4.30pm, both Main Sports Hall)
JUDO Men's Over 90kg, Under 90kg, Under 81kg, Under 73kg; Women's Over 57kg, Under 57kg (from 5pm, Minor Sports Hall)
SWIMMING Men's and Women's (5.30pm, Swimming Pool)
DARTS Men's and Women's (6pm, Barker House Farm)
POOL Men's and Women's (6pm, Barker House Farm)
INDOOR FRISBEE Mixed (7pm, Main Sports Hall); Open (8pm, Main Sports Hall)

Saturday 1st May
POWERLIFTING Open (10am, Weights Room)
SAILING Mixed (10am, Bolton)
ARCHERY Senior and Novice Mixed Teams, Novice Male and Female, Senior Male and Female (from 10am, College Pitches)
VOLLEYBALL Mixed (10am, Main Sports Hall)
DEBATING Exhibition Fixture (10am, Fylde Lecture Theatre One)
CLIMBING Mixed A, B and C teams (from 11am, Bouldering Room)
FENCING Women's and Men's (from 11am, Minor Sports Hall)
NETBALL Thirds (12pm, all Main Sports Hall); Seconds (1.30pm); Firsts (3pm)
TABLE TENNIS Mixed Firsts and Seconds Open (4pm, Minor Sports Hall)
TENNIS Men's Seconds (12pm, Tennis Courts); Mixed (2pm)
TRAMPOLINING Novice, Intermediate and Advanced (12pm, Lancaster and Morecambe College)
SQUASH Men's Firsts and Seconds; Women's (from 1pm, Squash Courts)
HOCKEY Men's Thirds (10am, all Astroturf One); Women's Seconds (12pm); Men's Seconds (2pm); Women's Firsts (4pm); Men's Firsts (6pm)
WATER POLO Women's and Men's (from 5pm, Swimming Pool)
SNOOKER Mixed (from 12pm, Rack 'Em Snooker Club)
RUGBY UNION SEVENS Men's Thirds (1.30pm, Rugby Pitch One); Men's Seconds (2pm, Rugby Pitch Two); Women's Firsts (2pm, Rugby Pitch One); Men's Firsts (2.30pm, Rugby Pitch Two)
LACROSSE Mixed (11am, Football Pitch Two)
FOOTBALL Men's Thirds/College (1pm, Football Pitch Two); Women's (2pm, Football Pitch One); Men's Seconds (3.30pm, Football Pitch Two); Men's Firsts (4.30pm, Football Pitch One)
VOLLEYBALL Men's (4.30pm, Main Sports Hall)
BADMINTON Men's Firsts and Women's Firsts (6.30pm, Main Sports Hall)
CANOE Polo Open and Polo Women's (from 7pm, Swimming Pool)
CYCLING Mixed (10am, Morecambe Velodrome)

Sunday 2nd May
IT'S A KNOCKOUT Morning Session (from 9am, University Drive); Afternoon Session (1pm, University Drive)
BALLROOM DANCING Beginners and Advanced Latin; Beginners and Advanced Ballroom (from 10am, Great Hall)
CANOE SLALOM Men's and Women's (from 10am, Garstang)
VOLLEYBALL Women's (10am, Main Sports Hall)
RUNNING 10km Race (10.30am, all University Drive); 1.5km Race (11am); 5km Race (11.30am)
CROQUET Vice-Chancellors and AU Presidents (11am, Outside Ruskin Library)
TENNIS Women's Firsts (11am, Tennis Courts); Men's Firsts (1pm, Tennis Courts)
KARATE Kata and Kumite (2pm, Minor Sports Hall)
ROUNDERS Mixed (12pm, College Pitches)
NETBALL Fourths/College Select (12pm, Outdoor Netball Courts); College Winners (1.30pm, Outdoor Netball Courts)
FOOTBALL College Winners (11.30am, Football Pitch One)
LACROSSE Women's (11.30am, Football Pitch Two); Men's (1.30pm, Football Pitch One)
AMERICAN FOOTBALL Men's (12pm, Astroturf Pitch Two)
BASKETBALL Women's (12pm, Main Sports Hall); Men's (2pm, Main Sports Hall)
RUGBY UNION Men's Thirds (11am, Rugby Pitch Two); Women's Firsts (1pm, Rugby Pitch Two); Men's Seconds (12pm, Rugby Pitch One); Men's Firsts (2pm, Rugby Pitch One)
CLOSING CEREMONY Presentation (4.30pm, Roses Hub)

All event timings subject to alteration

Jason Brown Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

gutted big posh lads

~J Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Roses Weekend clashes with a competition that they're both in? Seems a bit harsh to suggest York forfeits if that's the case.

Some interesting additions to the schedule as well, plus a massive amount of events on the Friday considering that we have exams - Lancaster are really trying to press that particular advantage as far as possible by the looks of things. Shocking, really, but at least it'll mean that the competition will be closer this year...

Simon Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Hold on did you not do every racquet event on Friday last year, that advantage is being pushed no more than last year, I look forward to seeing you all in Barker on the Friday as MC for darts and pool

you cannot be serious Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Tennis club expected to make a 14 point contribution... we have it in the bag