General Elections Party Profiles Politics

British National Party

The British National Party (BNP) are said to be contesting around 200 seats in the General Election as part of the next instalment of their 'modernization' platform. Fresh from success in the EU elections last year they are hoping to pick up their first ever Westminster seat.

The European elections used the Proportional Representation (PR) system which gives fringe parties a chance rather than the winner-takes-all, first-past-the-post general election format. Leader Nick Griffin, already an MEP, is challenging in Thurrock at odds of 20/1 of winning.

Of late the BNP appear to have renounced the biological racism that kept them in obscurity in the twentieth century and decided to attack multiculturalism and the liberal elite by portraying itself and whites as their victims. Although a party that very much tailors their policies toward local issues, their increasingly popular national policies include a stop to all immigration, breaking up the banks and abolition of equality laws.

They are expected to poll well though with the mainstream establishment still perceived as mistrusted and out of touch. However it is unlikely that they will win a seat in the House of Commons due to the nature of the first-past-the-post system.
Cathy Smurthwaite is the BNP candidate for York Outer and currently sits on the Heworth Parish Council.