Elections Blog Blogs

Off The Record... for good

Ho hum, that was fun. Welcome to the end of Off The Record.

This was a test. Would people want to read it? Would people trust my impartiality? Would YUSU let me get away with it?

Across 20 posts in 5 weeks, I've had 432 comments and thousands of pageviews. Thank you all for your emails, texts, Facebook messages and whispers in the Derwent Reading Room. You've really kept it moving, and I couldn't have pulled together all this information without you. I hope you found it useful and entertaining.

Your support has been great, and it's kept me positive in the face of continued YUSU pressure to stop blogging. I don't want to point fingers, but the nanny-state approach to election coverage this year just hasn't worked, and I think it needs a total rethink for 2011. Indeed, I am wholly indebted to Charlotte Hogarth-Jones for fighting tooth and nail to keep it running, and I sincerely hope someone follows suit next year. Indeed, perhaps freedom of the electoral press should be something people bear in mind when they go to the polls a week on Monday.

I'm calling it quits for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm tired of the constant fights with YUSU over its legitimacy and the things I can and can't write. However, moreover I reckon my job is pretty much done - candidates are finalised, and now the real stuff begins - rumours will be replaced by certified news stories, and the Returning Officer media machine will no doubt grind into action. Also, I've taken the decision to get involved - and will be running a campaign.

People knock YUSU, and indeed the Elections, as a complete waste of space. This is wholly untrue. The Union affects your life here in so many ways that you just don't realise, both positively and negatively.

So, please take the time next week to look at the candidates on offer, and please please please cast your vote. Whether you're a third-year on your way out, or a fresher with no idea what all the posters are about, you have the chance to have your say. Use it.

And did you really think I'd end it without naming who I reckon will win the elections for YUSU 2011? I'm not going to say who I'm voting for, but this is how I think it'll end up.

Let's see how long this is allowed to stay online. It's only my opinion, right?

UPDATED @ 14.53

Well that didn't last long now did it. Apparently my opinion is deemed far too dangerous to be aired. YUSU strikes again. Vote for whoever you bloody want.

Thank you for reading, and good luck to all the candidates.

Henry

32 Comments

Oliver Lester Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Great blog Henry and it will be sorely missed.

Samuel Houlders Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Well done, Henry. A fantastic blog that has kept us entertained for the past few weeks.

Peter Campbell Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Sad to see it go. Great blog Henry, and good luck in the elections with your candidate!

Matthew Freckelton Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Very well done, your blog has the made the whole pre-election process far more interesting.

roll on week 8.

frecks.x

Chinese Government Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Wow, YUSU's censorship makes us look tame. Maybe it's time to reconcile with google...

ARP Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

YUSU's censorship has always been utterly Stalinist and outdated. The whole concept of prohibiting rumours of 'who will/wont be running' and not allowing campaigning in between certain dates has not one single advantage going for it.

The previous SU administration under Tom Scott acknowledged that this problem existed yet Ngwena et. al. have done absolutely nothing to address the obvious problems. Yet again, priorities change once you are part of the very system that you have previously criticised.

USUY Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

And so where is the official candidate list, oh mighty YUSU?

They criticise this blog for compiling an unofficial list of those in the running, and then can't produce a bonafide, rubber-stamped one on time!

YUSU fail. Foy FTW.

PRA Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

ARP, I totally agree. You wonder why Tom Scott wrote the election report if no-one has bothered to take note.

VOTE NO INCUMBENT 2010!

Ali Clark Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

USUY, they couldn't have had an official list until today because nominations were still open (according to the YUSU website until midday today).

Check back on our mini-site launching tonight or tomorrow and we'll have the list online as well as some write-up.

Miles Sinclair Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Very sad to see this go Henry, but good luck with your candidate, and hopefully someone will do the same next year.

USUY Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Ali, YUSU promised to send it to the media at 1 o'clock. So yeah, Epic Fail.

APD Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

USUY, was an officiaL candidatE list proMised sO soon? Nominations only closed three and a half hours ago. surely a list can't be Published befoRE monday, when nomineeS for poSitions will have been 'vetted', human or otherwise?

Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Surely the question is not when the list is going to be published, but who's going to publish it? Seeing as our returning officer is no where to be seen?

Ali Clark Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Hmm that's not a nice way for me to find out! We'll get the site up as soon as we have the info over the weekend, photos might be added a bit later on Monday.

USUY Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Anon, this blog would have been a good place to do so, if YUSU hadn't had their wicked way.

Alex Muller Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Shame you couldn't keep this going up till elections night, Henry. It's been fun to read.

Thank God for YUM Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

When democracy fails, at least you can rely on the media.

Ally Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Aww boo-hoo. Poor Foy can't use his blog to give himself an unfair advantage over other candidates. Censorship!! Stalinism!!!1

PRA's comment "VOTE NO INCUMBENT 2010!" is yet another example of anti-"clique" rhetoric and blind support for "outsider" characters promising ill-defined reform. Of course, people like PRA don't seem to have noticed that anti-YUSU and "outsider" figures consistently win the YUSU presidency.

The extent of Tim Ngwena's YUSU involvement was doing some paid graphic design work for them; his opponent Tom Langrish was the ultimate YUSU hack insider. Tom Scott was a pirate - a joke candidate capitalising on disaffection and disillusionment with YUSU. Anne-Marie Canning and Rich Croker weren't total outsiders, but they both came from a college chair background and had clashed with their predecessors and promised to change the old ways YUSU had been run. When Micky Armstrong beat Robbie Dale, his entire campaign was based on being an outsider who would drive through a "year of reform".

None of them had ever served as a YUSU part-time officer. They can't really be said to have come from a YUSU clique.

Perhaps rather than change for change's sake, and hope for the arrival of a messiah figure who will put an end to YUSU's "Stalinist" tendencies, PRS and fellow YUSU-skeptics should learn more about how YUSU works, and come up with concrete proposals of how it can work better.

ARP Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Shut up Ally.

DI Rebus Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Brilliant piece of work over the past few weeks!
DI Rebus

A Detective Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I have been searching all year but I just can't work out where Tim N has gone? On holiday?

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7403/stimbeen.jpg

anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

good point above, where has tim gone/been all year. no body knows what he has done.

time for real change.

Comment edited by a moderator

Pensive Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

What has our YUSU president actually done this year? Echoing comments above granted but surely that shows how unsuitable he is for a second term.

sergeant lewis Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

the only reason tim is re-standing is so he can keep himself out of the job market for another year. even he can't find a job!

Comment edited by a moderator

The campaigns are now open.

Vote for No More Broken Promises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mKA6j2gBKA

~J Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Good luck to everyone. And good luck in particular to my dear friend RON ;)

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

What happened to the candidate list?

Ali Clark Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Coming soon, we could've released a candidates list a bit earlier, but since the plan is to launch our mini-site with write-ups and photos tonight, thought you could wait a couple more hours ;)

Where is Chris Etheridge? Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Does Chris Etheridge exist anymore? Or is Peter Campbell the actual candidate for Democracy and Services?

Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Chris generally doesn't comment on nouse that often.

Chris "Peter Campbell" Etheridge - will his full name appear on the YUSU ballot, I wonder?!

Chris Etheridge Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Here I am!