Elections Blog Web Exclusives Blogs

Where the real power lies?

No, I'm not talking about JCRC chairs, aggrandize as they might - though with four of last year's crop in the mix for Sabbatical posts come March, perhaps one or two might buck the trend and finally emulate Canning and Burton's rise from the ranks of the overworked and un-paid to, well, the ranks of the overworked and underpaid - if you believe the incumbents.

Yep, that's right, no JCRC Chair has become a YUSU Sabb election since 2007. And the only one who has tried since then is Dave Sharp, who lost to Lewis Bretts last year.

Anyhow, on to the real point of my rhetorical headline - the non-Sabbs.

OTR has hit something of a brick wall here. In fact, bar the Media and RAG (which is a little ironic given current events), my rather limited rumour mill is all out of steam. If anyone out there is collecting non-Sabb rumours for themselves like a bully in the playground, please share some with me.

If not, I'm going to have to spend two weeks dragging the Steve Miller saga out. And that's only going to please the Vanbrugh Computer Room Crew.

Still, here's what I've got...

Recent press is unfortunate given that this is the week that the campus fundraising machine should be the toast of the town. Still, possible candidates so far include Charlotte Alexander-Marsh and Suzie Dodd - while many suspect RAG week co-ordinators Joanne Clark and Imogen Stevenson might fancy a crack at it when the week comes to a close at the RAG Bash on Saturday.

All four are on the current committee, as is Tom Hobohm, who cast his net around for a running partner earlier this term, OTR has heard, but has seemingly chosen against a run due to his James JCRC commitments.

YUM Chair - which will be elected alongside the other Officers for the first time this year - is currently a two-horse race, OTR understands, between Laura Connor, of Nouse and YSTV, and Chris Young of Nouse. One wonders how that chestnut might play out in the office come production weekend.

Nominations open on Monday.

Gossip and rumours to elections@nouse.co.uk

The opinions expressed above are not representative of either those of Nouse, or of YUSU. They are the speculations and personal views of the author who is not a member of the editorial team, and should be treated as such.

92 Comments

Rectitude Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

It is good to see that Mr Foy is once again getting his facts entirely wrong.

Turns out that being campus busy-body (Jason Rose mark 2?) does not guarantee a solid stream of correct information!

I have it on good authority that Laura Connor is not running, just like Caroline Brown. Time for a second apology this week Mr Foy - are you looking to rival Boris?

Probity Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Henry, Laura is not running.

It is unconstitutional.

Regarding being a signatory of YUM societies, the reason why Laura can't run if she holds a 'signatory position' of any YUM society is due to the level of involvement and commitment one makes to these societies. The YUM Chair must be totally unbiased, by nature of being a 'chair'. Unfortunately, it is therefore inconsequential whether she is technically a signatory or not.

Thus, even if she were to resign as signatory from Nouse and YSTV she could still not run because of her level of involvement previously.

Laura knew this last week

Henry James Foy Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Fantastic. Thank you for the correction, much appreciated.

One wonders how YUM is supposed to function correctly if the person at the top can't have a "level of involvement and commitment" to a society. Anna Bucks, who will be very very difficult to emulate next year, she's been fantastic, must be one in a million as a non-signatory to a society that has a firm grasp on all facets of campus media.

I liked it back in the good old days when we'd all get pissed in D056 and pick the YUM Chair amongst ourselves.

That said, the above method did elect Nicky Woolf to a position of responsibility, and we all found out how much of a mistake that was...

Colm Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I heard Vision's Daniel Goddard was running. Also, I like how Henry says what he damn well pleases now he's no longer Editor.

Anna Bucks Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Awww, shucks.

Vanbrugh Computer Room Crew Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

You love pleasing us... we're your main commenters and source of gossip/rumours (whether they be true or false!).

Big Love,

KT & NS.

(I assume we're the V Comp room crew)

Tom Birch Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Colm- we can only hope not after Goddard's recent flurry of non-stories over at Vision, and his campaign to take the position of James treasurer (for which he was by the returning officers).

Henry- I've heard relative newcomers (and also current committee members) Olivia Phoenix and Imogen Wood will run for RAG Officer together. They'll be bloody good too.

Comment edited by a moderator

Tom Birch Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Sorry, my above comment should have said that Goddard 'was penalised by the returning officers'. Not 'he was by the returning officers'. That's just silly.

Note by moderator: This claim has been refuted by Goddard

Tom Birch Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I don't understand why my comment was moderated. It's not slanderous to report the facts, and Goddard DID run with the campaign slogan 'Semi trained, Semi qualified, Semi Jewish'. The posters are still up somewhere around campus.

This is surely 'constructive and relevant' (in line with the Nouse comment policy) in this context (expressing my opinion of this candidate's suitability for office?).

If not, feel free to delete all three of my comments :)

LO'B Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

God bless Nicky Woolf.

And one-upmanship is never pretty, Messrs. Probity and Rectitude.

Must agree with Tom about non-stories this edition! "Protest for good cause goes reasonably well", "Pigeon temporarily darts indoors"... I don't care if news items in Vision are exaggerated but by God at least let them be entertaining - it's meant to be a tabloid! The Brian Cantor Vox pops reminded me of that Charlie Brooker clip that's doing the rounds.

Chris Northwood Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Actually former signatories of societies can run for YUM Chair, although it's up to the electorate if they feel that level of bias is acceptable or not. Let's not forget former Vision editor Mike Regan ran for YUM Chair last year.

~J Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Foy is my successor? Weird way round. But he does seem to have missed a lot of rumours for non-Sabb positions. I know a couple for Campaigns, Council Chair, E&E, RAG, Ents. Most are fairly reliable but it depends on whether people decide to run. Plus not all current non-Sabbs are final year students so several could choose to re-run....

Tom Flynn Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Don't forget Jamie Tyler, too - he's the last YUSU Sabbatical Officer to come from a College Chair position.

Tom Flynn Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

- and he was 2008/09 year, not 2007.

Laura Connor Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I couldn't run if I remained as Deputy Editor, regardless of whether I was a signatory or not.

I agree that this is not necessarily fair; I think that editors/ station directors etc. of the campus media are in the best positions to be YUM Chair as, firstly, they have the best understanding of the role and its purpose from sitting in the meetings, and also, by default of what it takes to become high-up in a society, tend to have the most experience with YUSU and thus a greater understanding of the constitution and campus politics.

Comment edited by a Moderator

The All-Seeing Eyes Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Edit that last bit out or YUSU election people may give you a telling off.

Daniel Goddard Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

"I heard Vision's Daniel Goddard was running."
I very much doubt that.

"Sorry, my above comment should have said that Goddard 'was penalised by the returning officers'."
I was not penailised nor was I even warned about any of my posters, or for any other reason for that. This is not 'reporting the facts'. Could Nouse please remove/edit the relevant comments. And obviously this one when you're done.

Johnny YUSU Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Well come on then Jason, don't be so coy, let the gossip fly!!

After all, we are all only here for the inside track!

ha Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Laura is such a stirrer with YUSU

Moonshine Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I think this was what Daniel Goddard was penalised/warned about - inappropriate hints of anti-semitism, I think that was the allegation.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10049399&id=530795136

Civil society Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Etheridge needs to given this chance IMO. We could debate all day where the share of the power spoils are vested; however, this guys knows the system and how to get the best out of people. He won't promise change which can't happen, only realistic positive change. Looking at the confirmed and rumoured candidates. He is the only one I'm getting excited about. All the others, if elected, would merely fill vacant slots and enjoy their gold card; carrying on the tradition. Let's vote to see results!

Oakshottian Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Ok we've had the Tory boy propaganda. Let's now look at the facts:

Malkin - wants another year at uni and loves the sound of his own voice
Etheridge - opinionated but does have a genuine passion for politics
Scarlett - honest, genuine guy. Will be hard to beat.
Unsworth - not as well known at the above
Daniels - good looking, well known
Levene - urgh
Hutchings - hard working and brave
Walker - goodricke

Feel free to add

Political Commentator Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Powell - hard worker, proven leader, genuine passion, cares massively about student interests (and good looking)

Political Commentator who actually knows what he's talking about Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Powell - embezzlement accusations, fake name, unpopular in his own college, cares massively about his own group of Rugby playing, beer swilling violent friends (good looking girlfriend though!)

Cato Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Etheridge would be an excellent choice. His politics shouldn't disbar him from wider popularity any more than those of inveterate guardianistas that comprise most of YUSU, and he has had a sustained, active, and beneficial, involvement with the York Tories in a fairly dysfunctional committee.

Wow, that is some serious bitterness emanating from you're post PCWAKWHTA. Could you please explain to me what qualifies you 'actually knowing what you're talking about' as your post appears completely spurious.

Powell is 'unpopular in his college'?! - That's a ridiculous assertion, Roberto is incredibly popular in his college! He has fostered an excellent college spirit and 'fax pride' amongst the current batch of Freshers'! This is evident in the huge success of Mr and Ms Halifax (who went on to become Mr and Ms York last night!), the brilliant 'Fax off to Amsterdam and the quality of Halifax's freshers' week events.

Embezzlement accusations - Key word: ACCUSATIONS- Which were proved to be completely unfounded and ficticious! Merely the result of a campus journalist searching for a story that didn't exist and picking on Roberto.

Cares about his friends - yes. Your point?

Roberto knows how the system works, did an unquestionably excellent job as President of Halifax and would work his ass off for York students. The most impressive potential candidate in my books.

THIS IS ALL AGAINST YUSU RULES

The Voice of the Masses Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Seriously, the content and comments on this article are starting to push the boundaries a little.

Just shows how much everything goes to pot once we're bereft of our excellent Democracy and Services Officer

Thank you for your comments, omniscient ones...

Though I'm loathe to set any house rules for this particular blog, and want to encourage as much freedom as possible, if someone runs off and tells Bretts that they feel they're getting a rough deal in the comments over here, he'll go all Returning Officer on me.

Stick to facts in comments, avoid opinion and please don't directly endorse candidates. Of course, if you use your literary skills to cleverly insinuate, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Save the savaging character assassinations for Hustings, eh?

Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

In ref to Powell- 'the brilliant 'fax of to Amsterdam'... i was there and felt that he ignored anybody that wasnt his friends (Despite being in a position of responsibility), stopped us being checked out on time and generally made it a bit stressful for the others in positions of responsibilties. I even heard the other Fax president moaning about his abilities

Phil Walker Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I take full responsibility for any delay in leaving Amsterdam. I was an uncontrollable mess that morning. Apologies.

I don't know what bus you were on Anon, but Rob was responsible for the 'big bus'. He not only organised the trip and the t-shirts, he also counted everyone on the bus every time we left a destination, he did all the port administration and guided us to the hostel once we'd arrived in 'Dam.

'The other Fax president' was in charge of the smaller bus.

Once we were in 'Dam, yes he spent time with his friends and let people do whatever they wanted. Remember, he's not actually President anymore, he had no responsibility to hold your hand and guide you around Amsterdam. Just to get you there and back!

I meant the comments, not the blog. You're fine, Henry, but saying "hey vote for this candidate" is definitely against the rules!

Anon 2 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I am neither a friend nor an enemy of Powell, just an interest spectator. I feel intimidated and threatened by him on nights out especially when he's with his rugby social member friends. I dont think he would make an honest Sabb.

RAG Slag Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Charlotte Alexander-Marsh is a really poor member of the RAG Committee, in my opinion. She rarely attends things and has done literally nothing in RAG Week, RON would be a better choice.

Suzy Dodd would do okay, she needs someone good to do it with her as its a massive two person job.

Joanne Clarke and Imogen Stevenson have done a good job this week, I've heard they're after Vice Chair and Secretary though...

Anon 2 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

David Levene got 85 in a recent assessed essay which IMO is noteworthy

Emma Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I was also on the trip and on the bigger bus full of Fax'ers. I had a brilliant time but completely agree with Anon as he was our group leader but yet i felt intimidated to ask for his help when it was needed as we drunk on the way there. I wouldn't normally bring this up, i just don't believe he would represent us properly and want everyone to know both sides to the 'charismatic to some' Powell

Mary Ann Bighead Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

"David Levene got 85 in a recent assessed essay which IMO is noteworthy"

In sociology, a subject in which such grades hardly represent the holy grail of academic achievement.

anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

fisrtly Roberto powell has done so much for halifax college, he has rebranded us with a excellent new college logo. He gave us in our opinion the finest freshers week on campus and in doing so has created an college spirt which certaintly did not exist when i was a fresher. He has also gave us the first foam party, also with reference to the fax off to amsterdam. He worked hard to organise that trip and i feel that he is quite within his rights to hang out with his friends. As for intimidating people he is far more approachable than you might think, maybe if you actually tried talking to him instead of bitching you would know. Also his rugby playing friends im pretty sure his best friends are definatly not rugby players. In short Roberto Powell would be a great sab. for halifax he has delivered everything single one of his election pledges and would do so again for the union which is alot more than that can be said about certain sabbs this year!

Predictable... Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Thanks for that Luke, I assume...

Any objective opinions?

How about not giving opinions on people and just giving rumours of who may be running for things and where people might know them from?

Here's one: one of the YUSU Environment and Ethics Officers is re-running.

RAG committee Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Interesting points about 'Charlotte Alexander-Marsh'- it's actually Charli if you bothered to know her before making this outrageous comment.... oh and by 'interesting' I meant absolute rubbish! I happen to know that she has been rehearsing very hard this week for a play that's on Monday whilst also trying to juggle all things RAG, including organising the next hitch. Get the facts straight before making slanderous accusations.

Unconvinced Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Difficult to know who on the RAG committee is really up to the officer position to be honest. Maybe Imogen and Joanne, but they're hardly on the same level as Helen and Zoe.

Anon 2 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

One could infer from Powell's comment that his doesn't care - exactly what bothered me in my time in his collage. Sick of seeing him big timing it with is rugby social member mates (not the actual team) and intimidating me on nights out, particularly ziggys and gallery. One has already argued not to get personal on here, but how else is it done. I want my opinion to be recognised; not wait for a slight chance during hustings.

Anon 4 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Either way, he's still smarmy. I remember at my first Halifax Xmas ball he spent the entire evening lording around telling everyone who'd listen that he was the college president.

Not too sure he can count on the 'halifax vote' for these elections tbh

Comment edited by moderator

Anon 2 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

RE: Anon 3.

Im sure his actual name is Robert too. Therefore, posting a link to a professional footballer is also within his limits. Please don't patronise me either, I have strong feelings about this; I don't want to be represented by someone who has intimidated me. I do not feel comfortable with this. The one thing I love about uni is the opportunity to express yourself - so please respect my post. In addition, Powell is someone, IMO, who would take the piss out of this when in his rugby (again let me stress his limited appearences for the team) suit in ziggys. I would love him to prove me otherwise.

XXXII Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I like this blog. although the facts may not be facts.. It's always good to have a yusu free rumour mill... perhaps URY/YSTV etc should have their own spin off's of this ...

RAG Lover Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Bit unfair on Charli AM, I'm on the committee at the moment and she does seem to do quite a bit of work with the hitches, plus she was stewarding in Reflex for RAG Viking Raid, as well as on the parade today (which RAG Slag couldn't have been due to the time when you posted the comment)

And let's be honest, RAG Officer isn't really a two person job. Fair enough, they've had a Sab helping before, but do they really need two people to do it?

'Anon 2' seems to be biasing this comment section a little too much with his/her completely bogus and deceptive claims!

I'd just like to clear up your completely fallacious depiction of Roberto as an intimidating rugby member! Roberto gave rugby a bash for the first time in his life at the beginning of 2nd year due to the encouragment of rugby playing friends, he played a couple of games for the thirds, realised he was shit and gave up!

He's not been on a social for over a year so please can you attempt to keep your wild assertions within the realms of truth! REMEMBER Tim Ngwena was a rugby social member but this didn't prevent him from achieving his YUSU ambitions.

I have never before heard anybody describe Roberto as 'intimidating', he is actually one on the most amiable and outgoing people I have ever met. He has a massive heart and did an enormous amount of work (some seen, some unseen) for Halifax students during his tenure. As Vice-President of Halifax last year I can avowedly vouch for that.

Personally, I'd be much more intimidated to approach many of the current YUSU elite.

Please get your facts right before you make another ridiculous post Anon 2, you sound like someone with a personal vendetta.

p.s. The above Roberto Powell, is most certainly not the real Powell.

Shoulders Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Charli definitely showed the RAG love by coming straight from a stressful ten hour journey to stewarding the Viking Raid, where her and Oliver Lester raised an absolute tonne for all the core charities (it is rumoured that they even smashed Tom Flynn's previous collecting total!) If she could have been in two places at once, she would have been to every single event this week. Mark my words. The girl is a hero for all the extra-curricular stuff she does!

Nick Scarlett Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

"RAG Officer isn't really a two person job. Fair enough, they've had a Sab helping before, but do they really need two people to do it?"

Yes they do.

Oliver Julian Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

As far as RAG Officers are concerned I have heard rumours of the current Halifax RAG Officers, James Croydon and Jon Hare throwing their names in the hat for the YUSU Elections.
They could be two to watch in the next couple of weeks, they have done a pretty good job in Halifax and getting involved in RAG Committee I hear - so my eyes would be on them as contenders.

anon 3 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Heard a rumour Trampolining Club pres Marion Nutter is considering a last minute bid for AU president... going for the smaller society votes perhaps?

anon 3 Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

oops- mean York Sport...

Despite all the efforts of Team Halifax RAG, Derwent still won the RAG parade though didn't they!

Tom Flynn Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

As if anyone got near the rag raid collecting total of PS360 last year in the Nags Head! Plus I still think we beat you this year Lester/Marsh ;-)....

FaxFresher Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

So, as a halifax fresher i would like to make the following points...

I cannot actually believe that people are intimidated by roberto powell?! get a grip, he is genuinely friendly and approachable, and he'd be great for YUSU.
secondly, i was on the dam trip and i wasn't aware of anyone signing up on the basis that roberto would hold our hand and guide us round the place... it's amsterdam for crying out loud, everyone was there to have a laugh with their friends and he fulfilled his responsibilities appropriately.
some people obviously have a massive chip on their shoulder and a personal axe to grind. stop trying to sway opinion so unjustly!
moreover, roberto gave us the best freshers we could ask for, and organised a great fax off event!
lastly, i think everyone should look out for croydon and hare for RAG officers... they did amazingly last week! raising PS230 at Mr and Mrs Halifax and then PS290 at Mr and Mrs York. And they were the first there at the toga party, to which some of the committee themselves did not attend! Yes, we may have come second at the parade but it was a close call, they're ones to watch.

~J Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Roberto has never been intimidating, has done a perfectly fine job at Halifax and would do a good job - there are other candidates running who are in similar situations and I'm not recommending anyone but I'm pointing out that some of the above comments are simply ridiculous. Roberto Cavalli above is likely to be somebody I know that isn't Powell btw...

Anonymous Massive! Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Anonymous Massive! is Massively! relieved that ~J, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME, has posted yet again, and has clarified the situation for us all, Anon and Non-Anon alike.

Anonymous Massive! would like to propose that ~J, or whoever lies behind this ingenious anagram, receive some sort of Massive! award for most helpful Nouse commenter when he leaves - whether that be after he finishes his degree, his sabb term, his postgrad, his student porter career, or his death.

Fin.

Newly formed Dan Taylor fan Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Wasn't aware of the last point above but fair play - anyone who could produce unsavoury chants about the late Ron Weir deserves more than good hiding.

Public consesus Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Can Dan Taylor please get a life...this is all getting rather boring.

Tabs Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

The fact is, everybody knows they cant have a go at Robs achievements as Halifax president because he did such a great job, and instead resort to unjustified personal attacks that amount to nothing more than pathetic bullying. Its quite funny that people are quite happy to insult Rob under false names, but Im sure wouldnt have the bottle to say anything to his face. Rob clearly did the best job out of all the college presidents last year, and as such is more than qualified for the position of YUSU president.
P.s. I can categorically confirm that Dan Taylor did not beat up Rob and two of his mates in ziggys last year.

Colm Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I don't tend to say something to somebody's face if I have the feeling it will result in my getting decked.

Toad Job Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Roberto 'The Man' Powell is a genuinely nice chap who is utterly approachable and would bring bountiful benefits to YUSU. He did a fantastic job in Halifax and I'm sure has much to offer to the student body in general. The charges of embezzlement and violence are ridiculous and they bring shame upon the person who accused him of such things. May God grant us a year of his benevolent reign, that we may edge a little closer to the new Jerusalem that he promises.

Miss Marple Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

hmm
Jason Rose has added me as a friend on facebook
I have never met the man in my life
.....

Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

If Roberto is serious about running, he'd better do something about this comment thread, as it is seriously undermining his image to all those who have never met him (myself included).

Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Also, I remember hearing similar rumours when Roberto was running for Halifax president. Is this all just a personal vendetta, or is there some merit to these claims?

Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

If students base their YUSU voting decisions on the petty name calling exhibited throughout this thread, there is something seriously wrong with the election process. Any candidate standing should be judged on their policies and performance in hustings, not by overblown accusations and character assassinations. If Rob does stand, he should be worried if his policies prove to be unpopular, not because of childish assaults on his personality such as the one taking place here (unsuccessfully, I hope).

I urge students who aren't familiar with Rob to ignore the downright insults thrown around in a comment thread and instead make their minds up once the campaigning begins.

Original Anon Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

If the accusations are true, then they would certainly affect my voting preferences, as I would not want an unapproachable bully to represent me. If the accusations are untrue, then they should be countered and exposed for what they really are. You may think this is just a childish assault (and you may be right), but failure to respond will almost definitely affect Rob(erto)'s chances.

And yes, there is something seriously wrong with the election process, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Subsequent Anon (Matt) Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

The prospect of such unfounded rumours (that have so far been completing lacking in fact) damaging an individual's electability is a disappointing scenario to consider. Until there is any evidence supporting the damaging claims (something that was lacking after accusations of embezzlement) there shouldn't be a need for Rob to respond. In any case, there have been several strong messages of support from those who have encountered Rob both during his time as Halifax President and more generally as a member of the university, so I urge students to at least take notice of this backing.

Ultimately, I can only hope that students don't base their opinions of any candidates on anonymous postings here. The best way for individuals to dispel their concerns is to meet Rob as well as all the other candidates during the campaigning and decide for themselves whether or not they want to believe unsubstantiated claims. As such, it seems most sensible for Rob to answer these attacks with a strong set of policies and an ability to be personable with all students, not by getting involved in petty arguments.

Mole Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

A few more rumours:

A very well known ex Vice Chair is almost certain to run for Democracy and Services, adding another woman into the mix for YUSU.

Powell looks set to have a massive campaign, although not the largest.

Levene has a lot of influential people with him, however the College Chairs are unanimously backing ngwena.

David Clarke will do E&E again - with Chris Venables.

RAG looks set to e a two horse race between the Halifax Reps and Alcuin Reps, although one or two committee veterans may change that.

Chris Young isnt likely to have competition for YUM, however Ents looks set to have some competition for a change.

Oh, and one more massive name looks set to join ngwena, levene, powell, hutchings and freckleton in a six way presidential race.

I think this thread may benefit from people throwing some 'cabinet' predicitions in...

Colm Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

"The best way for individuals to dispel their concerns is to meet Rob" - be prepared to duck.

Gay Mole Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

LGBT officer looks set to be as tightly fought as it was last year with two pairs of first years competing for the position.

Mole Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Hi Gay Mole - come here often?

Mole Hole Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

"A very well known ex Vice Chair is almost certain to run for Democracy and Services, adding another woman into the mix for YUSU"

Hmmm, so that would be Zoe Stones or Anna Younger then... care to give us a clue?

"Levene has a lot of influential people with him, however the College Chairs are unanimously backing ngwena."

Really?! That's not what I've heard

"Oh, and one more massive name looks set to join ngwena, levene, powell, hutchings and freckleton in a six way presidential race"

Go on, give us a bit more info than that! :D

Lithuanian fan Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

It could be Vanbrugh's Laura Bo....

Quim Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Roberto Powell for YUSU???

'LOL'

Laura Bo is fit. I hope it is her

Concerned fresher Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I have read about Roberto's fraud claims and whether or not they're completely real or not, there is rarely eny smoke without fire. It's a pretty far-fetched story to make up.

Also, there is no smoke without fire regarding his supposed enjoyment of fighting as part of a group and pushing his weight around. I saw him in the Duchess this weekend as well and he was totally drunk, hitting on girls and shouting at bar-staff/bouncers.

This goes on all the time but having read so much about him and that he now wants to run for YUSU, well I think he seems totally unsuitable.

Comment edited by a moderator

LOL Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

does he really call himself roberto when his name is rob?
will keep a look out for him this week, wouldn't advise him to be throwing himself around.

Comment edited by a moderator

Gene Hunt Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Really, Nouse, I know you are all in favour of free speech for your writers and comment posters but surely some of the comments about Roberto are potentially libellous?

I'm no lawyer but I reckon there is some massive 'defamation of character' slipping though the moderation process here and on other articles.

Articles have been pulled and papers withdrawn for statements that are far less defamatory (and in violation of the YUSU aims & objectives aka 'bad welfare') than those being written here.

The boundaries between justified public scrutiny and character assassination based on un-proven rumor is a fine one but surely this is too much?

Interested onlooker Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Vice chair?

Zoe Stones, or Kat Turner from Alcuin?

Concerned Observer Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Can Nouse please do something about this character assasination of Roberto. These claims are unfounded and amount to slander. This is getting quite unfair.

guy who should be working right now Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I don't know this person but I definitely remember hearing exactly the same things about him when he was running for Halifax. Too much smoke for there to be no fire.

Reason, Voice of Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

This is absolutely hilarious - The majority of anti-Roberto comments are just simple slander with no note of his excellent run in office. I thoroughly believe that the commenter's are one or two people eager to stir things up, and I personally don't know Roberto that well but find him to be solid in character and an even more solid Chair. If anything, Roberto is so forward and good at his job that he does tread on toes, but these are toes that need to be trodden on. He is not afraid to speak his mind or get his job done - Is that not among the core qualities for any officer?

Read the rules Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

It does appear that one of the Democracy and Services candidates has invited people to his 'secret' facebook group without asking them - surely that's campaigning, no?

Moderator Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Note: Some comments have now been deleted by request. Please be respectful in your comments or they'll be deleted.

Nathan Ratcliffe Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

"Concerned Fresher" have you ever actually spoken to Roberto? He is a good friend of mine and a top all round bloke. I'll admit when I first met him I thought he was a bit of a tool and didn't actually like him. After getting to know him and seeing how much work he put into Halifax college I can think of no better candidate for any position within YUSU. He is a thoroughly nice guy and as for being "totally drunk", he is entitled just as much as anyone to let his hair down and with regards to "hitting on girls" are you sure? Or was he just being his usual friendly approachable self? His girlfriend is one of my housemates so I'm sure he wasn't hitting on anyone except her. In future keep your slanderous, unfounded and unnecessary comments to yourself. Roberto will do a brilliant job within YUSU just like he did for Halifax. People need to stop prejudging because of what they or their friends have heard. How people are intimidated by a guy who spends most of his time smiling and having fun with his mates is beyond me. To say we are at a top university people do seem to be genuinely being a bit dim...

Andy Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

can anyone actually confirm what is this powell character's real name is?
is it true that it is not actually 'Roberto'? Has he genuinely given himself a fancy new name?

Tonsil Face Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Everybody has the right to call themselves whatever they want. Is that seriously a criticism?

Given the nickname 'Roberto' at primary school

The name stuck.

Shockingly deceptive isn't it?

Joey Gudjohnson Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Its actually his mothers maiden name, Phil.

Joey

xx