Football Sport

Goodricke, Alcuin and Halifax victorious as College Football returns

Goodricke, Alcuin, Halifax and Derwent laid down markers for the season ahead as College Football made its eagerly-anticipated return this afternoon. (Thumbnail credit Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle)

Goodricke, Alcuin, Halifax and Derwent laid down markers for the season ahead as College Football made its eagerly-anticipated return this afternoon.

Goodricke cruised to a 5-1 win over depleted Wentworth on the 22 Acres, with Craig Macklin (2), Adam Botterill, Ben Smith and Josh Barker inflicting the damage. Goodricke led 4-0 at half-time, but were matched by the postgraduates, who were missing their entire first-choice back four, after the interval. The decision to bring forward kick-off times this season to 11am caused problems for several players across the colleges, but at least allowed participants to take in the Liverpool-Manchester United Super Sunday clash.

Alcuin, holders of the College Cup after beating the same opponents in June, inflicted more misery on Vanbrugh in a stunning 5-1 victory. Joe Cooper, Miles McDermott, Simon Reiss and Christy Cormac (2) were on the scoresheet, with Phil Bowers named man of the match. To compound Vanbrugh's afternoon, striker Ali Prince saw a penalty easily saved in the second-half.

College Football, 25/10/2009, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

The Langwith goalkeeper tackles a Halifax player in this afternoon's College Football action, resulting in a penalty and Halifax's third goal. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

Derwent beat James 3-1 courtesy of strikes from Ed Lacaille, Anton Murphy and Alex Cooper. John Carroll slotted home a penalty for James, although they failed to live up to expectations. In the other match, Halifax beat Langwith 3-0.

All four matches were overseen by members of the university's Referee Society for the first time. Next weekend, James have the opportunity to respond against Wentworth, Halifax face Goodricke, Langwith play Alcuin and Vanbrugh take on Derwent.

Udy Onwudike, of Alcuin, assesses his options during today's 5-1 victory over Vanbrugh. Photograph by Justyn Hardcastle.

Udy Onwudike Posted on Thursday 17 Jan 2019

What is the point of Vanbrugh even playing college football? They are an absolute disgrace - Jess Bird would get in their team.

Note from moderator: This probably isn't Udy Onwudike

the real udy onwudike Posted on Thursday 17 Jan 2019

i did not post this previous comment. myles preston is a sad 44 year old man who refuses to let go of university life. myles this is a shame as you have a full tiime job and you really should focus on supporting your wife and children. leave university behind myles. move on my friend, move on

myles preston's lover Posted on Thursday 17 Jan 2019

i am in absolute awe of those rather feminine hands that are on show Onwudike. Strictly dancing beware...