News

University Challenge team ready for TV

Four York undergraduates are to face the task of defending the University's academic reputation on the popular television quiz program, 'University Challenge'.

"We're all really, really excited about the competition" said Laura Horton, York team captain and first-year History student. At eighteen years of age, Horton will be the youngest ever captain and will be accompanied by second-year teammates, Tom Emmett, Peter Searle and Meriel Whalan.

"In terms of the team as a whole, we're one of the youngest this season, with an average age of nineteen. We also don't have any postgraduates on the team which really distinguishes us from our competition," said Horton.

The team will not discover which team they will face until the 19th of June when the filming will begin in Manchester.
Horton said, "Although a lot of people have come up to me and said that if we are put against Oxford or Cambridge then it's pretty much game over, I don't think that's the case."

She continued, "I want to use this opportunity to get people to sit up and realise that actually, we're a really fantastic University, which is why I want to get the team at least past the first round."

Despite the program's long history since it was first aired in 1962, there has never been a winning team from York before.
"I'd love to see the York team this year do better than we've ever done before, that would mean getting to the semi-finals" commented Horton.

Michael Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

I dont care, im so in love with laura horton. Never met like but never the less " shwing ".

Sami-Rose Sterjon Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

I think York were pretty good but it was still a whitewash unfortunately. Didn't make it to the semi-finals. But with the youngest ever captain, it's pretty good and we can do better next year!

anon Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

schwing indeed

Zach Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

Laura Horton and her University Challenge team did really well despite their first round loss. The opposition had an advantage as they were much older. York were also unlucky - I particularly remember Laura answered Rachmaninov to a starter question about the composer about a piece of music and, although the answer was wrong, she was right in a sense as Rachmaninov had subsequently reworked the music. Anyway, Laura, don't be discouraged - it would be great to see you lead a York team next year. You have the rare combination of beauty and brains!

Anon Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

"You have the rare combination of beauty and brains!"

True that.

Xed Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

Stop anonymously perving on the captain, her appearance has nothing to do with how good a captain she was; it's a quiz not a beauty contest.

.. Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

Yes, obviously, but why is it so objectionable to say that someone is both intelligent and attractive? Don't know about you, but I consider that to be a compliment.

Holly Burton Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

Regardless of the winning team, the true winner is Jesus. I love Jesus.

Jimmy Posted on Monday 18 Nov 2019

I love laura, so glad york won the competition.