Other Sports Sport

MCC prove too strong for York in prestige end-of-season match

After a disappointing season, featuring both relegation from BUCS League 2B and a premature cup exit, a fixture against the world-famous Marylebone Cricket Club bought some cheer to the bedraggled first team faces out on the 22 Acres last Sunday. (Thumbnail credit After the visiting MCC reached 266-4 batting first, as custom dictates, York struggled to gain enough momentum against slow bowlers, eventually falling 32 runs short.)

MCC 266-4dec
University of York 234 all out

After a disappointing season, featuring both relegation from BUCS League 2B and a premature cup exit, a fixture against the world-famous Marylebone Cricket Club bought some cheer to the bedraggled first team faces out on the 22 Acres last Sunday. Superb, uncompromising batting and tactical nous won the day for the MCC and, although Andrew Emmerson hit a rip-roaring 87, York strained in vain against a mammoth 266 target and were eventually bowled out for 234.

Securing a fixture against the world's most famous cricket club was a considerable coup for a first team beset by organisational problems this year - two matches forfeited due to a lack of available players saw slip a division three weeks ago. "It was a game played in a fantastic spirit," said York captain Nick Vanner. "But really we could have been out there all day, they batted so well." With customary honour, the toss had been sacrificed to the MCC, who duly chose to bat first: and what an innings they forged.

Given that, the early signs weren't so bad for York, with Sean Martin and Anthony Butterfield bowling with the same telling accuracy and pace they've shown throughout the season; the opening spell showcased a decent rhythm despite blustery conditions unconducive to swing. With the MCC on 13, a flying one-handed Emmerson catch at mid-wicket saw York's hopes soar, but the joy would be short lived and York's bowlers were then treated to some harsh punishment. The MCC's total owed much to opening batsman Musgrave's 135 before he was unceremoniously dispatched - top edging Kash Memon straight into Ed Wilson's hands.

The MCC's huge 266-4 off 52.2 overs provided York's batters with a veritable mountain to climb, but Emmerson, keen on exacting a little revenge, put up quite a fight. After Ed Murrills had seen off some decent medium-pacers, the MCC - in classic timed-match style - brought on their slow bowlers, aiming to frustrate York's middle order into risky shots. Emmerson was in uncompromising style, though, and hit four sixes on the way to his first - and last - university half-century. His 87 included a stunning straight-drive over the sight screen.

"That was probably the best shot I've ever played," effused Emmerson after the game, "but it was so frustrating to lose my wicket thirteen runs short of a century."
The end of his 114 run partnership with Townson (66) concurrently put paid to York's chances as the middle order and tail-end proceeded into collapse. Needing 43 off 10 overs, Remi Remington was harshly adjudged leg-before after edging an arm ball onto his pads, and Kash Memon's misjudgement saw him clean-bowled soon after. York whimpered to a rather disappointing final score of 234 all out. Vanner, for his part, was dumped head first into the freezing water of an anachronistic paddling-pool by his teammates: a fitting conclusion to a season at odds with this term's scorching weather.

Latest in Other Sports

Adam Clark Posted on Wednesday 27 Jan 2021

Any chance of a scorecard?