Other Sports Roses Sport

York clean sweep on slopes

YUsnow picked up a complete set of the fourteen Roses snowsports points available with a majestic performance at Rossendale on Saturday night. (Thumbnail credit Photo credit: Max Hardy)

YUsnow picked up a complete set of the fourteen Roses snowsports points available with a majestic performance at Rossendale on Saturday night.

Fresh from achieving a top ten finish at the National University finals last weekend, the mixed first team stormed to a 4-1 victory in the best-of-five event.

Ex-captain Max Hardy made a guest appearance on a break from foreign climes and exhibited faultless skiing to boost York's chances, joining Ben Corbey, Mike Perkins, Katy Huckle and new captain James Lodge in cleaning up on the dry ski slope.

The snowboard team, even without captain Kate Hicks, completed their 3-0 race whitewash in double-quick time, with experienced boarders Richard Ramsbottom and Marlies Neuner leading the way to the four points on offer.

Earlier, the ladies' skiing had cruised to their four points thanks to accomplished races by Katy Huckle, who immediately put Lancaster on the back foot, Emily Scott, Emily Bird, with a commendable effort in the final leg, and Hannah Cooper.

The day started with the mixed ski seconds, who registered a 3-0 success, with Scott racing twice and winning on both occasions, picking up two points for the overall score.

At the end of the final race, Corbey and Hardy shared a handshake, signifying the end to their partnership on the slopes, which has been instrumental in the rise of YUsnow to one of the most respected university ski/snowboard clubs in Britain. They are also one of the largest and most successful clubs on campus.