News YUSU Elections 2018

Exit Polls predict narrow win for Langrish in race for President

Exit polls have predicted a slim 4 point victory for Tom Langrish over presidential rival Tim Ngwena.

After removing votes allocated to Grant Bradley and RON, Langrish is predicted to win by 45% to 41% of the vote.

"We always knew that this was going to be a close race. This shows that it will go down to the wire," Langrish said.

Rhianna Kinchin was predicted to win a close race over current YUSU Officer Rory Shanks in the race for the Student Activities position.

In the York Sport Presidency race, Emily Scott is predicted to win by 40% over second-placed candidate Michael Sneddon.

Lewis Bretts is expected to win by a 15% margin over David Sharp in the vote for Democracy and Services.

In the Welfare Officer race, Ben Humphrys is predicted to secure a slender victory over Matt Pallas after initially losing on first-preference votes.

Charlie Leyland, as expected, is predicted to win by a landslide over RON.

Election results begin tonight at 21.00 in The Courtyard. You can follow all the action here in text and video.

Tom Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Just as everyone had been predicting - some extremely close races (aside from York Sport, it appears)!

Candidate Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

too right !!

Alex Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

How was this 'exit poll' conducted?

Sian Turner Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Alex,
The exit poll is composed by the Union. They take a random sample of 100 voters, and from that release the results that we have now, taking into account the Single Transferable Vote system that they use.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Alex Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Neat, thanks