News YUSU Elections 2018

Poll shows lead for Ngwena in Presidential race with large proportion still undecided

Tim Ngwena leads the race for YUSU President according to a Nouse poll conducted last week.

Ngwena leads the popular vote by 27% according to an opinion poll conducted around campus on Friday and Saturday of last week. Out of all those surveyed who had decided on a candidate Ngwena held 57% of the vote, roughly 30% of the actual vote. Following Ngwena was Tom Langrish, with 30% of the decided vote, and 16% of the actual vote.

A large proportion of students, 47% of the total surveyed, are still undecided about who to vote for in the election, for which voting has already opened. The large proportion of students undecided means that there is no clear favourite, although poll results suggest that the race may be between Langrish and Ngwena.

Both Langrish and Ngwena are well known figures on campus. Langrish is renowned as a YUSU official, currently holding the position of YUSU Policy and Campaigns Officer, whilst Ngwena is particularly well known in more artistic circles as a graphics designer and this year's Chair of Fusion.

The poll also revealed that candidates Charles Bushby and Grant Bradley sit much lower in public opinion, coming in at 12% and 1% respectively in the decided vote. Both candidates have highlighted that they are not well known and this will affect how well they do. Bradley in particular is hoping for a late surge at the end of this week.

The poor performances of Bradley and Bushby could be the result of the accusations of cheating which have surrounded both of their campaigns in the last week. Whilst Bradley was not charged, Bushby lost 5 hours from his campaigning. The hours which Bushby lost were on Friday afternoon, immediately before polling began.

Neither candidate campaigned over the weekend either, with Bradley returning home to work and Bushby believing that there were not enough students on campus to make it worthwhile. No presidential candidate has yet launched a large-scale campaign, preferring to stick to postering and college visits. All the candidates are still working through Facebook campaigns and Bradley has a personal website for campaigning purposes.

The poll, which surveyed 317 voters, surpassed the quoracy required for a YUSU UGM motion to be valid. The poll was carried out over two consecutive evenings.

Last year, a similar poll by Nouse predicted a win for Laura Payne, who eventually lost to current President Tom Scott. A similar poll conducted by The Yorker predicted a victory for Nadeem Kunwar, one of the website's director.

Other YUSU positions have played host to more vocal and visible campaigns, with Democracy and Services candidate Lewis Bretts visible every day with sandwich boards and large cardboard signs. Similarly candidate David Sharp has written a campaign song, 'Fix Up, Vote Sharp'. Student Activities candidate Rhianna Kinchin has also lauched a large campaign with supporters visible around the University with large red 'K's visible on their faces.

Races remain close for all other sabbatical positions, except for Academic Affairs, where Charlie Leyland is uncontested. The most contested positions currently include President, York Sport and Democracy and Services.

Voting is now open online at www.yusu.org/elections/

18 Comments

Anon. Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Hey guys, did you not get someone to proof-read this??

Chris Northwood Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Ooops, copy and pasted the unproofed version from the server. Updated with the one that went to the printers

Grant Bradley Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

1%? Ouch!

George Papadofragakis Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Grant, have no illusions. This is a popularity/publicity contest - not many people will actually take the time to read through what you have to say. Your proposals will not matter unless you promote them while dressed in a fancy suit, while shouting in a megaphone or through a catchy song. It's really sad, but that's how it is. Nevertheless, I must say I was genuinely impressed by your performance at Hustings and you were high among my voting preferences.

Jack Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

It's true. That's why I've voted for Charles Bushy; that guy is so charismatic and manly with his white earmuffs....

Election onlooker Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Is it true the poll was taken IN THE FUSION queue?

Song Liker Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Of course not, because some people said they weren't voting for tim!

Jason Rose Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I thought one of Tim's rivals went to Fusion anyway?

But I'm glad that Nouse included the information about last year's polls being way off. These aren't serious and though 300+ is a solid number it isn't representative of the 1500+ people who have already voted. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out!

Not to mention that the Yorker and URY call it for Tom at present so they're both most definitely in it!

Anon Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

The Yorker's poll has Langrish out front I think.

Dan Taylor Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Yes, this was done over 2 nghts in the Fusion queue with Anjili (Nouse writer) giving out 'Vote Tim' stickers. It's about as useful as a window cleaner in Beirut.

Ex-Nouse writer...

Tom Bishai Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Dan I think each poll taken in campus media is likely to lean towards one candidate over the others for one reason or another, more likely than not logistical reasons play a large role.

A. Mouse Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Though Fusion was on the Thursday and Friday and the article says the Poll was done on the Friday and Saturday at various locations around campus. Also no one was handing out vote Tim Stickers on the Friday, or if they were they missed me!

Having said that the poll was wrong last year so it may be again this year.

*shameless plug*

If you're currently one of the undecided voters, then tune into YSTV tonight at 6, or in The Courtyard to watch the presidential debate :)

anon Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

1650 went to Fusion, i think that's a fairly good representation of student body, that's more than get involved with UGM's, and more than have voted in elections in the past. 47% were undecided , equally the yorker puts lango ahead with a much larger majority. To conclude, I don't see why Tim can't relate to the success of Fusion to draw in voters, after all Tom preaches on his past campaigns on B HENRY and the NUS. Either way, presidential debate tonight & as people keep saying let policy be the deciding factor.

Scott Bryan Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

URY places Tom Langrish in the lead with 35.67% , Charles Bushby with just over 15%, Tim with 9% and Grant with 7.6%.

So although we have different people reading each websites the election poll resukt isn't as conclusive as what has been already suggested. Yes URY's poll can be voted again when opening a new browser but so can Nouse... its still to play for.

Scott B

The Yorker:
Tom Langrish - 54%
Timothy Ngwena - 29%
Charles Bushby - 9%
Grant Bradley - 5%
RON - 3%

And if you think about it, URY is *more* likely to be pushed in favour of those who have shows so Bradley and Bushby are probably *over* weighted. Both polls put Tom ahead - but this is only among those that actually care enough to use the online media and vote in these polls!

Indeed. Our current poll is "Will you vote in the YUSU elections", and with 93% saying yes, we know it's skewed.

That said, we said Payne last year, The Yorker said Kunwar, and URY said Tom, and URY were right, so who knows.