Web Exclusives News YUSU Elections 2018

'Viking Kath' drops out of race for Sports President

Kath Mildon has withdrawn from the YUSU elections for York Sport President and NUS Conference Delegate, citing incompatibility with existing work commitments. (Thumbnail credit Photo credit: Justyn Harcastle)

Kath Mildon has withdrawn from the YUSU elections for York Sport President and NUS Conference Delegate, citing incompatibility with existing work commitments.

In a statement circulated to campus media late on Saturday Evening, the present Graduate Student Association (GSA) Sports Officer, who adopted a viking persona for her campaign, concluded it was fair to confirm her withdrawal before voting opened on Monday.

Mildon will continue in her capacity as GSA Sports Officer, with a view to entering some of her manifesto, which included cheap equipment hire, healthy eating initiatives and beginner's sport classes, as motions in forthcoming UGMs.

Although Mildon will not be pledging her support to any of the four remaining candidates, she wished them the best of luck and urged that more resources and financial support be channelled into college and recreational sport, to ensure inclusion of students from all backgrounds.

Election Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

That's a shame, I thought she was actually quite good.

It is much better she pulls out now before voting opens, than get elected and turn down the post.

Jason Rose Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Absolute kudos to her for deciding it before Monday and it's a shame that she's unable to go for it. Good luck to her in everything else!