News YUSU Elections 2018

Scott sets out final campaign rules

A number of issues were raised at the Candidates' Briefing meeting on 2 March, including the rulings for the potential YUSU candidates.

These included the decision to ban chalk for the first time in an election campaign, a measure current YUSU President Tom Scott considered "controversial". This is due to contention with Facilities Management, although candidates are free to use lecture room chalk and blackboards.

The question of kitchen postering also raised a lot of issues: a number of decisions have been made over the last year to level the playing field with regards to postering cards, and the candidates are now banned from entering unattented kitchens. It has been agreed that candidates are free, however, to knock on doors and give posters to residents to place in their own kitchens and windows. Anyone with access to kitchens as part of their existing positions have been told not to exploit these privileges.

Another original procedure is to ban the use of YUSU's megaphone. Posting campaigning material on the VLE has also been banned.

Both decisions to ban the chalk and megaphone were decided by general consensus at the meeting yesterday evening.

Another contentious issue has been candidates exposure to media, societies and college newsletters. Scott has acknowledged that media exposure "should be fair and balanced to all" for otherwise it "counts as campaigning". College newsletters have been told to discuss all candidates fairly, whereas societies are free to invite any candidates to their meetings and events. Comedy Soc's Have I Got News For York traditionally invite whoever they think are the funniest candidates. The team have been instructed to ask no direct questions regarding policies, to ensure that all candidates are all fairly represented.

Campaigning starts at noon today. Vote now leaflets will be available from YUSU when voting opens.

10 Comments

Mc Hammer! Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

its gona be hard to police how people enter those kitchens, lets hope all 43 or so candidadates and their camapign teams stick to the rules !!

Jason Rose Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

It'll be hard work for people to get into blocks and people are presumably going to be reported if spotted going into blocks with a key card when they live off-campus etc... Only dedicated campaign teams will be able to use kitchens effectively and, well, that's the point in campaigning, surely? :P

Grant Bradley Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

All it means is candidates have to be a little more creative in the ways they spread their message... I'm sure we've all got some interesting days ahead of us.

Anonymouse Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Interesting how Scott feels it's okay to ban the use of the megaphone.

I only really remember one candidate using it last year and that was, oh, yes...Scott.

A lot of these rules are rules that would've damaged his candidacy last year, interesting...

Chris Northwood Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Did you read the article? It wasn't Scott that decided to ban the megaphone, it was a general consensus of all the candidates...

What was being suggested was a "timetable" of when people could use the megaphone. It sounded silly to me so I suggested that we banned using the YUSU megaphone. People can still use one but it has to come out of their budgets. Sounds fair to me :)

Well either way, if a candidate had access to an alternative megaphone, the rules don't stipulate THAT couldn't be used....

Edited by a moderator

Henry James Foy Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Thanks for all your posts.

Candidates are kindly asked not to use the Nouse forums for advertising policies or campaign websites. Please keep comments related to the story in question. Candidates are permitted to use any campaign websites as their identity URL.

Many thanks, and enjoy the election fortnight.

Henry
Editor

Anoni Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Grant, the rules were clear. If you had been there then you would know.

You can only use a megaphone if you have budgeted for it or it is available to all candidates. Since I don't have a megaphone, you have to budget for it.

Old Faxian Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I'm glad to see the issue of entering peoples residences without permission has been addressed. It was an issue I raised with YUSU last year having met with hostility from one house in James whilst knocking on doors during last years elections. The YUSU response at the time was along the lines of "well campaigners needs access to campaign". Hopefully porters will have been briefed not to issue keys/keycards to campaigners. Call me old fashioned but i think the old school doorknock is the best way, for one reason the electorate can meet the candidate who's courting their vote.