Web Exclusives News YUSU Elections 2018

Live Hustings - Tuesday

Nouse's Sian Turner and Nicky Woolf take you though hustings for NUS Annual Conference Delegates, Chair of Union Council, Entertainments officer, Environment & Ethics Officer, Campaigns Officer, Sports President, Student Activities and Democracy and Services.

22.56

Just got word from our man at YSTV, sleep's a foreign concept to them, they're going to get videos up of each candidate tonight, so check our candidate profiles soon for videos from hustings.

22.48

And so, ladies and gentlemen, we come to the end of our night in L/O/28. Thank you to everyone who followed the blog and for all your comments and questions. As the assembled file back to The Courtyard to lay siege to the bar, and Tom Scott's slightly strained voice calls out across the rabble as he tries to get all candidate to clear up the debris of glasses left amongst the seats, it's goodnight from me, goodnight from Woolf and goodnight from Bulley.

Join us tomorrow night at the same time for the final night of Hustings, where we'll see the remaining candidates, including those for President, battling it out over the mic.
See you then.

22.45

Not quite the last set of questions, we have them here instead. The very last people.

1. If you would have to recommend one of your opponent's policies, which would it be?
2. Who would be your first choice act for Fresh and the Summer Ball?
3. What size are your boots?

An interesting last question there..

Some questionable answers here, especially with regards to music taste. Sharp fancies a bit of Dizzie Rascal, Bretts like Aqua, and Durkin is partial to some Daft Punk. Whilst George P doesn't know his English boot size, Bretts is toting himself as "the only man to metaphorically and physically fill Matt Burton's boots..."

22.42

Final questions from the floor.

1. As officer, how would you envisage engaging with course reps?
2. It has been suggested that an ethical food policy for The Courtyard could be financially damaging. Is it worth the effort to resolve this lack of ethical policy?
3. If you had to stop a current YUSU service and replace it with a new one, what would it be?

George P is our man to start with. He skips quickly to question too - following the old gastronomic theme perhaps? - giving it his support but refusing to actively support it. He would remove computer recycling to replace it with a student workers' network. How would that go down in the Grimston House recycling officer I wonder?

Sharp also skips questions one, sending the ethical food motion to a UGM. He's remove Your:Print and bring in a termly book fair.

Lewis Bretts finally tackles question one, offering course reps a free, home-made sandwich in his office if they come to see him. He'd like to get rid of Ents Tech too - "it's too expensive."

Durkin comes up last of all, offering himself as approachable to course reps, keen to explore the options of ethical food and would also remove computer recycling. Seems these guys are pretty unpopular tonight...

22.35

1. How will you continue to improve on the growing relationship between YUSU and Commercial Services?
2. Do you think the university is more interested in making money out of students than serving them?
3. How important will Hes. East be in your services package, and how will this affect Hes. West?

Durkin strides to the mic, he's concerned that we need to watch out for Hes East and make sure decisions made by the university do not adversely affect those on Hes West.

Sharp hopes to implement monthly meetings between YUSU and Commercial Services to continue developing the relationship between the two bodies.

Lewis Bretts wants to continue working with Commercial Services too, and is keen to emphasize that part of YUSU's role is to keep an eye on the university to prevent student exploitation.

And George P, he hopes to make Commercial Services more competitive and keep the University's Hes. East ambition in check.

22.27

And again...

1. Why do you think you'll be a good democracy and services officer rather than just a services and finance officer?
2. Doing the right thing isn't always popular, how will you ovecome this?
3. What is your policy on Sinclair advertising on campus and through YUSU?

Up comes Mr Bretts. With his blogs and website, he's keen to show he's all about openness and accountability. "I'm a no-nonsense kind of guys," he says, "I'll do right by people."

Durkin is keen to emphasize that sometimes a thick skin in necessary to go ahead with what you believe is right. And as for Sinclair's, he'll leave that to the UGM.

George P is cut short once more, but wants to take a firm stand against Sinclairs. And he's greeting with a strong applause.

Shape is up last, declaring his passion for YUSU and how believes he can run it well.

Strong words from all there.

22.22

Another set -

1. How will you work to increase turnout for elections and UGMs?
2. Too many people don't know who their officers are, what will you do?
3. What can YUSU do to encourage healthy eating? That's one off the blog chaps...

Sharp..wants a "BBC iplayer-thing" on the YUSU website to help students be more aware of their YUSU officers. Interesting...

Bretts wants to make elections and UGMs "more fun. Let's have more banners, more fun," he says. Both candidates have endorsed keeping up to date officer blogs too. And a fruit and veg stall, what more could you say for a candidate endorsing healthy eating?

Durkin keeps it short and sharp: elections in more visible places, officer blogs, an endorsement of healthy eating.

George P: "I'm sorry, but the way we encourage healthy eating is not to bring a Subway to campus." Touche.

22.17

And some more...

1. What is more important, YUSU acting commercially sensibly or running services?
2. What are the most important YUSU services in place at the moment?
3. How do you think YUSU could expand non-commercial services?

George P - commercial activities and services are non divisable, he believes. And Welfare is the most important service too.

Lewis Bretts: "YUSU enterprises exist to provide services," he says. He's a big fan of the Magic Bus too, and expanding non-commercial services such as the bus.

Durkin is another Welfare fan, but also wants to help out the JCRCs as much as possible.

Another hotly contested one here, some fast-talking, smooth-talking movers on this one...

22.12

Time for the first set of questions from the bar

1. Do you think the collegiate system benefits students?
2. How would you strengthen the college system? Is centralisation the answer?
3 How would you counter the myth that the courtyard damages college events?

Durkin's up first. He's a strong college supporter, and wants to move away from Quid's Inn on Friday to help out colleges on Friday nights.

George P now...he talked fast, but he didn't quite get it all in. He likes the collegiate system though.

Dave Sharp believes colleges offer the best provision for sport and welfare for students. That the Courtyard detracts from social events: "that's not a myth, that's a fact." It's answered by a call of "Fix Up, Vote Sharp" from the audience. Tom Scott is not too pleased.

Up steps Mr Bretts. The collegiate system strengthens college autonomy, but his disagrees with Sharp as regards college bars. "They're not good enough," he says, "just look at the Charles, look at town."

Some divided ideas there.

22.07

Sharpy's up now...he's strongly critical of some of YUSU's recent developments, dismissing it as running too much like a business of late. He hopes to keep nights at the Courtyard popular, improving Saturday nights and Quid's Inn on Friday night in an attempt to keep students on campus rather than in town.

Moving away from the bar now...a Your:Shop on Hes.East, along with an ATM, newspaper subscriptions from Your:Shop and cheaper FTR prices for students.

22.03

George P up now. He's speaks fast, very fast.

"I'm running because there is an elephant in this room, and we can't ignore it any more," he says. With a strong background in Welfare and the ISA, George hopes to improve representation, participation in UGMs and create more competition campus services.

I hope we got it all. I don't think he breathed one in 3 minutes.

22.00

Ed Durkin steps up to the mic. The current YUSU Ents rep wants to create a campus takeaway for all students. There appears to be a gastronomic theme here?

Subway to Market Square, a DVD rental service on campus, a bike-lending scheme for students, bringing live music to York and to the Courtyard, large-scale events in the RKC, a bakery in York:Shop...all potentially very popular policies with students.

"I want free FTR," he declares as he closes. Some strong words from Durkin there, very impassioned.

21:57

Here we go everyone, the final round of speeches for the night.

Lewis Bretts up first. Begins with an introductions about himself; he's got a strong history in events entertainment, working on Woodstock, RAG parade, and various professional events such as Latitude festival. Free tickets for York students perchance...?

"YUSU should spent less time talking and more time doing," he says. Here we go - the fresh fruit and veg stall on campus. And temporary cash machines during Freshers week, that should be popular. And a minibus to Morrisons. Students should be eating well with Bretts.

He's keen to get involved at campus level with students too, making B Henry's a centre for comedy and developing the new Goodricke on Hes. East.

A big cheer for Bretts. He seems a popular choice so far...

21:53

Mr Bretts has placed a promotional placard infront of the mike. Now that's not fair play I'm sure...Tom Scott doesn't seem to have noticed.

Oh...it's gone now. Sorry Lewis. Wear it around Vanbrugh instead?

21:50

A brief break now whilst the assembled file out like well-behaved school children after assembly. That was a hotly contested one, all spoke well and there were no clear leaders. We'll just have to see.

The final position up for grabs tonight next...Democracy and Services. Lewis Bretts want to bring a fruit and veg stall to campus, David Sharp hopes to re-create York:Book on Hes East. And then there's Durkin wanting to improve campus events and George Papadofragakis wants to improve communication between YUSU and the ISA. Who will deliver the best speech and win over the assembled? And all those reading the blog, of course.

*point of information. Henceforth, George Papadofragakis will be referred to as George P. Because otherwise he'll have a different name every time. We've checked with the man. He's down with it.

21:38

A question from the floor (the last one apparently)

1. What other things do you consider adding to RAG week after the success of York Come Dancing? (a small smile from Mr Foy there...)
and...
2. How should RAG and Student Action work with colleges to provide alcohol-free event?
3. What is your opinion on the £3000 fixed for RAG?

Kinchin suggests a "massive joint event" between RAG and YorkSport to get "students running all over the place..." Sounds great. Kirton fancies an X-factor event...maybe Mr Shanks could get out his guitar? She wants to keep the current funding for RAG, whilst providing enough support to Student Action too.
Shanks is back onto getting another world record for RAG week. Still hasn't disclaimed exactly what this will involved yet though...

As for the non-alcoholic events, all are in favour. York Come Dancing in Welcome Week anyone?

21:33

Here come the next 3 questions. Hold on tight.

1. Volunteering has suffered underfunding, how will you deal with this?
2. What are your views on societies other than RAG raising money for charity?
3. What is your favourite Student Action Project.

Shanks loves MEG because he plays guitar. Wow, there's something new we didn't know before.

Kinchin echoes Shanks' words regarding the raising of money by societies other than RAG. It's important and they should get to chose their own beneficiaries. And she loves Tea and Coffee Club as she loves the look on the old people's faces. Awww.

Kirton is a big fan of SWAP, where students help out prisoners. Good stuff guys.

21:29

Wow, this is a hotly contested one. Questions here about the role of The Yorker, their stance on Kids Camp, and the fact that Kids Camp is only 1 project out of 13 - will the other recieve sufficient support.

Kirton: "The Yorker is valuable, you need someone from the outside looking in."

Now Mr Shanks...'The Yorker isn't ratified," he says, "we shouldn't shut them out, but treat them like an external press organisation." He loves Kids Camp too: "it must continue," he says.

Kinchin: "we have to continue Kids Camps, it would be a massive loss if we lost it."

Looks like Kids Camp holds a special place in our hearts, and with these guys it looks like it'll be well-protected for the coming year too.

21:25

Big love for Student Action here. Kinchin and Kirton both want to provide more support for the projects and raise awareness. Shanks suggests getting a stall for each Student Action project at Freshers' Fair.

21:24

Some more questions from the floor.

1. Will you be bigging-up the profile of Student Action this year?
2. Student Action has grown massively this year - does volunteering have enough support?
3. Do you see a value in Student Action week?

21:04

Mr Shanks, he's like the Media Charter he does, and hopes to get more postgrads involved in societies.

Kinchin would like the Charter updated and clarified, but doesn't want to detriment other societies for the sake of the media. Go postgrad involvement.

Kirton: Go postgrad involement once more. Approach the GSA and help them to get involved.

A touch of similarity. "Please listen to eachother's speeches," from Mr Foy. Ooohhh.

21:19

1. What are your views on the media charter?
2. Media issue take up a lot of time - how will you balance this with the needs of other societies?
3. No one has mentioned Graduate or GSa issues. How will you cater for theses?

Now there's some juicy ones...

21:04

Shanks says there's no such thing as equal time to all societies, but it's different at different times of the year.
Apparently Nouse isn't his favourite society though...sob sob!

Kinchin now...she loves York Carnival herself....

21:15

Questions now:

1. How will you give equal time to everyone in the new, expanded position?
2. What is your favourite society?
3. Should the £4 minimum charge be lowered in the current financial crisis?

21:14

It's Mr Shanks up now. Can the YUSU veteran return for another sucessful year. He's starting strong. "Why should I run again for another year in the YUSU dungeon?" Why indeed...?

Shanks is keen to make sure that the amalgamation of new roles will not be to a detrement of student societies, and he believes he's got the drive and the experience to make it so. College life is changing, he says, Kids Camp is under threat...could Shanks be our hero?

21:11

Kirton's up next, and opens by declaring herself no a 'traditional candidate'....hmmmm. She hopes to bring a "fresh perspective' and bring "concrete and achieveable things." Societies are key too, hoping to improve communication with societies, offering support rather than waiting for it to be asked for by holding at least 2 society meetings per week.

Good stuff.

21:07

Kinchin up first, bearing a box of Special K...hmmm. She's passionate for sure, with a strong base in YUSU in RAG, JCRCs, Sport, and holding the position of Training Officer for the last year. "I listen to students," she says. Keen to emphasize interaction between YUSU departments such as RAG and Yorksport, Kinchin also wants to create an award system to recognise the achievements of students throughout the university.

"You can get involved," she says. "YUSU is you and you are YUSU." Wow, strong words.

A forceful ending with an emphasis on the future of Kids Camp. Vote Rhianna Kinchin, vote Special K.
Well, we'll just have to see.

21:04

Another comment: Chris Etheridge follows-up on his speech:

"I must point out that my point about efes went slightly wrong. I intended to say that it is difficult enough as it is staggering home eating efes after drinking, without having to contend with poorly lit and surfaced walkways.

In no way did I intend to criticise students for eating efes or drinking:)."

Student activities up next. Ella-Grace Kirton and Rhianna Kinchin are up against the incumbent Rory Shanks.

21:00

Some comments from below.

Jason Rose answers Dan Taylor's comments:

"Those weren't our campaign proposals. They were the CURRENT policies that were passed by UGM. My point about us having a lot on our plate already is that we are mandated to, and will, campaign for these policies.

And I feel that Dan Taylor's views aren't spectacularly neutral on this particular election.

RE: Taylor's last comment. Of course I won't campaign for it. But I'll campaign for the right to wear that combination if it ever comes down to it. I find the gear comfortable and not exceptionally scruffy and it's my right to wear what I want.

Which will we priorities? Several. Sorry it's a rubbish answer but we'll focus on Tuition Fees nationally, better cycle lanes and more street lighting for the council and various things to different section of our university. All policies I read out are not our own and, even though I don't think we should graduate in the Minster, I will still campaign with Chris for it. Don't worry about how much I can get done - I've shown that I can multitask pretty effectively in the last year!"

20:56

A correction: Michael Sneddon's plans for college rugby involve tournaments in which not all 8 teams are playing, as a several-tiered system, rather than a "half-measure", as I took it. I apologise.

Also, Alex Lacy's surname has no E in it. He thinks all the candidates were strong, but disagrees with some of Mildon's policies. He predicts a close race.

20:50

Scott is a hard one to follow for Sneddon, who wants to "just continue what I'm doing, really". He dodges the Lacey question, and wants to add sausages to the wednesday experience. He leaves the floor to cheers and whoops from his somewhat annoying fan club.

A lot of information to digest, there. We'll be bringing you Alex Lacey's post-game analysis momentarily.

20:47

The last set of questions: Media relations, What would you have done different if you were Alex Lacey (current yorksport prez) and how to enhance "the wednesday experience".

Media relations "fantastic", says Johnson, and wants to continue the relationship. If she were Lacey, she'd have consulted more clubs, and thinks the new colours would have been better done her way... Wednesdays she thinks salvation was a mistake.

Shock horror! Leahy thinks salvation was a good idea! But he explains- Lacey was just looking out for his members. He wants to negotiate deals with Ziggys.

Mildon wants to get college sport players reporting for the media, and thinks Lacey's website hasn't been up to scratch. Wednesdays are about a fruit cafe in the sports centre, she says. There is uncertainty in the audience, who perhaps are bigger fans of Ziggys than of fruit.

Scott wants a media relations officer on the yorksport comittee, which I think is a good idea.

20:43

3 more questions: The possibility of a sports department, how to raise participation, and would a decrease in the yorksport fee mean less money for clubs.

Sneddon plans an indoor cricket league and other cheap sports as a solution, and plans to have "a good old look at the budget". Hmm.

Johnson thinks a sports dept is a fantastic idea. As for encouragement, she is planning charity tournaments to raise inclusion, and membership fees gives her another chance to propose her clever 3-tier membership fee system. Impressive.

Leahy also thinks a department would be fantastic, which is original. And charity tournaments. Have we heard this before? And yes, he does think dropping the fees would mean less money. That strikes me as a no-brainer, but then Sneddon'll take a "good old look" at the budget. Hmm again.

Mildon thinks we should encourage people to join yorksport, and thinks that reviewing the structure might help free up some more money. She's now proposing a several-tiered system. Is everyone copying Johnson?

Scott is on the ball, though. She points out that college sport is a good way to get people involved, but thinks that a decrease in fee would mean less money.

20:36

Johnson wants to raise inclusion, wants to organise charity matches, and is against paying for college sport.

Leahy is back on the idea of professional coaching. Where does he think the money's going to come from? "There is going to be a problem with paying for facilities" he says in reference to college sports, hinting that a £5 charge might be a possibility.

Mildon, still wearing a viking helmet, wants to work with YUSU to get people involved, and the careers centre. "And starting up something for people who are not so good at sports". "On a casual basis," she adds. She doesn't think the £5 charge is so bad, either.

20:33

3 more questions: The future of volunteering in sport, the possibility of a £5 college sport membership, and LGBT representation in sport.

Scott is against £5 membership, and thinks sport should be "for everyone". Good point.

Sneddon seems nervous. Perhaps his support is putting him off? He's against the £5 thing, but doesn't think there's an issue with LGBT sports inclusion.

20:31

The vocally-supported Sneddon next. "Oi Oi Sneddon", they chant. He is a fan of college rugby, but thinks it's unrealistic. Instead he proposes a half-measure for training purposes.

Johnson thinks participation is crucial, and wants more people to get involved. Insurance is an issue, too, with college rugby, but says Johnson, it's eminently possible under her leadership.

Leahy, in his yellow lycra, thinks with some encouragement York could take the fight to much bigger rivals, BUCS-wise. Interesting.

20:27

A question from the floor about the rejuvenation of College rugby. Kath Mildon is caught unawares by it, but as we've come to expect, Scott is ready. "I don't think you get success without participation, so you want to be encouraging people from the very bottom level."

20:25

Sneddon has friends in leeds who like their matching kits. His friends in the audience cheer. "It's good to win everything," he says.

Johnson is realistic on university kits, but cautiously pro-it if the money's available. "People like the diversity of sport at york, and I'm more than willing to give people sports they want to play". Calm and collected, and well-informed. Scott and Johnson are well out in front.

20:23

Leahy and Mildon are both pro-college, and both want to develop non-bucs sports. Nothing dramatic here.

Scott is more collected: she is pro- the matching kits idea, and wants to balance college and university sports. "All sports are important, but BUCS sports are the ones that build up our reputation.

20:21

Questions now. Matching uniforms, University v College sport and Bucs v Non-Bucs are the questions of the day.

20:20

Sneddon's up next, and his friends in the audience voice their approval. He has campus media experience, but admits he's "not very good at sport". He plays rugby, cricket and pool, though. He wants BUCS success for york, and wants to get coaches for teams to do that, though doesn't specify from where, and how it will be afforded in a yorksport that's already taking flak for being too expensive. He's big on "fairness".

"If you think yorksport is rosy, vote for people with experience in it. But in my campus media experience, from the outside looking in, vote for me..." His time runs out, and he is cut off, and his audience buddies boo. Not sure I approve.

20:16

Emily Scott makes a big thing of her experience at college sport level "I've played every college sport" is a good sound-bite, and she's served on several club committees. "Practical and realistic" are her buzzwords, which is a good sign. She has no outlandish policies like Milden and Leahy, but sounds more than both of them like she knows how campus works. She's very pro-college sport, and wants to promote it, and is cross about Varsity's cancellation this year.

I think Scott and Johnson are the front-runners so far.

20:13

Kathy "viking kath" Milden briefly forgets her own name, but is wearing a viking helmet and wants Yorksport to be more "fun". "Bicycles for hire" is an interesting policy, as is a park games scheme, and she wants sport to be "cheaper for everyone". A fruit cafe in the sports centre, and watersports on hes east lake are all attention-grabbing policies, but we've seen candidates in funny hats before - will she lose points for a lack of seriousness?

It's a serious speech, though. We'll see how she deals with the questions.

20:10

Michael Leahy next. Plays "tons of college sport", and has "tons" of experience. He's wearing lots of extremely brightly-coloured sports equipment. Some of it might even be lycra. Ho-hum. Policies: Value for money for yorksport members. He proposes hiring a physio-therapist for members, which might be overly ambitious, especially as he's advocating financial independence for sports clubs.

20:07

First up is Gemma Johnson. Experience with YUSNOW and Roses, she's been in loads of clubs. She's well-qualified, and is coming across like she really knows her stuff. She's proposing a multi-layered system to solve the expensive yorksport membership costs, which seems like a good idea. She wants to work with York St. Johns for RAG charity matches, too. She's going to be a hard candidate to follow.

20:04

And they're off. Expect sports metaphors galore. Oh my, they're chanting for Sneddon. There's only one of him, apparently. He's walking along, and doing something, they're singing. Details later.

20:02

Now, AU President (which is what I have decided the post is called). This is a very contested position: no less than 5 people running. Gemma Johnson, Michael Leahy, Kath Mildon, Emily Scott and Michael Sneddon. Each get 3 minutes for their speech.

You can read all about them in detail here.

19:57

Still to come tonight after Sports-AU-YorkSport President:
Student Activities, which should be at about 9PM
Democracy and Services, which is scheduled to be at 10PM
Will everything stay on schedule? Probably not. But stay tuned, and we'll keep you posted.

19:55

Nicky here, back from the bar and re-fortified. People are filing back into the room in dribs and drabs. AU President - or rather, YorkSport President, or as the board that the President himself has drafted has it, Sports President - whatever you want to call it, it's the first of the sabbatical positions tonight, it involves sport in some way, and it's up next.

19:44

Turner here, holding the fort whilst our Nicky temporarily flees to the bar to restore his faculties for further satire...

The room is empty but for an eagerly conversing Jason Rose and a few by-standers with pints. Next up we'll be having the hopefuls for YorkSport president. A hotly contested position with four candidates going head to head, we'll have to see if their speeches can match Rose's eloquence or Levene's enthusiasm. One's running as a Viking though...could be the next Tom Scott?

19:35

"It's unrealistic at the very least" says professional York political pundit and celebrity come dancer Dan Taylor, with characteristic understatement, of Jason Rose and Chris Etheridge's gargantuan list of campaign targets.

We're in the middle of a brief break, is why updates aren't coming as thick and fast as before.

19:30

"At the very least," apparently, "The council should build us a swimming pool." I dread to think what the council would have to say about that.

19:29

"There are a lot of issues" admits Jason Rose apologetically. There are indeed, I may venture, too many issues that they've taken on. Will this affect them at the polls? They're running unopposed, so it seems likely that it won't, but then there's always RON...

19:28

"Which of those policies is the most important?" is the slightly bemused question. Dojos, swimming pools, bridges, sports centre prices and world peace appear to be the most important ones.

19:27

Chris Etheridge is big on the Langwith bridge. He's really angry about it. And the cost of YorkSport. He certainly sounds like a campaigner. Oh, and he's against "staggering home, eating efes, and drinking". In that order, apparently. Slightly surrealist. Ziggys is too dark for him. Cashpoint logistics, now. He's really rocketing through his bugbears.

Jason Rose, running with him, wants improvements in campus kitchens, portering, ethical merchandise, childcare, tuitin fee cap, minster graduation - Minster graduation! I thought we'd heard the last of that one - Something about the Royal Bank of Scotland, ethical investment, ethical everything, my goodness. "There's a lot on our plate already". You are not kidding, mr. Rose.

19:24

Questions for the E&E pair: What do they prefer, ducks or geese?

David prefers ducks, because the geese keep him up at night. Is he planning a cull? It would be somewhat outside his remit.

Campaigns next.

19:20

David Clarke & Jade Flahive-Gilbert, running for environment and ethics, have already said the words "actively" and "committed" upwards of eight times. They want to sort out the problems in Gaza, too. Ambitious, perhaps. Ah! They just said "actively committed" again.

19:18

Two more questions: One about late-night courtyard disruption, the other the traditional "entertain us" question for ents. The first is answered convincingly, and Suzi Ellis gives us a brief but energetic dance. They're running unopposed anyway, so Sam Daniels doesn't appear to feel like he has to dance. Not impressive. Environment and Ethics next.

19:16

"Making colleges work together brings enthusiasm together." Snappy answer, but is it true?

19:15

First questions are about the focus on alcohol, and whether college spirits will be damaged by joint events?

19:14

Entertainments officers up now. Sam Daniels and Suzi Ellis running together. They want to balance college competitiveness with central organisation, via YUSU. Competition is healthy, they say, but intercollege relationships will help. They want to put on more free events, and alternative and LGBT ones too. "Any event which brings students to campus is a good event," says Suzi.

19:12

A solid speech by Levene. The position has "great potential" and affords the opportunity to be "innovative, dynamic and creative".

First question: What's the most important part of the job? Is it the lack of "bras"? Oops. That'll be bias, questionmaster Henry. Nobody thinks Levene should be without brasserie. Well, that's not true. But it wasn't the question, was it?

19:08

That's the questions for NUS delegate all done with. We think Rhianna Kinchin and David Levene came off best, followed by Carr and Bretts. Chair of Union Council up next, and David Levene is running unopposed. He now has three minutes for a speech. Remember you can post your questions on the blog to be transmitted to him...

19:06

Daniel Carr highlights the threat of infighting, something Oli Lester has already pointed out as a worry. Lewis Bretts, meanwhile, is more careful, but comes down with Lester and Carr.

19:04

Delegates should definitely not be whipped, says Rhianna Kinchin, agreeing with Tom Langrish. Very certain of their positions, those two. Convinced, and convincing.

19:03

First question, by email from Tom Flynn was "Should york candidates be 'whipped'?" meaning should they keep to Union policy or take their own views to conference. Best answers so far David Levene and Jamie Tyler, we think. Very slick, the both of them.

Readers can post their questions on the blog to the candidates, and we'll transmit them to the candidates via the wonder of technology.

18:59

David Levene comes off as a strong candidate, while Oli Lester takes the opportunity to plug Derwent's Flying DCUK newspaper. Charlie Leyland pledges to "bring education" to the NUS. Not sure what that means, but it sounds impressively aggressive, we at Nouse think. Meanwhile, Jamie Tyler's phone causes chaos with the microphone.

18:54

Strong speeches from Tom Langrish and Rhianna Kinchin, who both have bigger targets in mind: Student Activities for Kinchin and of course President for Langrish. This shone through in both their speeches, which had the bigger issues at heart. Kinchin said she was "in touch with stidents", while Langrish pledged to cut through "Beaurocratic BS".

18:51

In alphabetical order, the candidates for NUS delegates are:

* Ali Allana
* Michael Batula
* Lewis Bretts
* Daniel G. Carr
* Rhianna Kinchin
* Tom D. Langrish
* Oliver Lester
* David Levene
* Charlie Leyland
* Kath Mildon
* Jamie Tyler

Batula and Bretts make solid speeches, but the most impassioned so far was Daniel Carr, who made a big deal of his GSA President status. Rhianna Kinchin next.

18:48

First up to the plate to bat will be the NUS delegate candidates. There are a lot of them, so they get a minute each in alphabetical order. First up: Ali Allana. But she's a no-show, so Michael Batula takes the stage.

18:44

A hush falls across the hall. The tech teams are all ready. And... yes! Tom Scott has opened the ceremonies. First up: Health and safety briefings. Stay awake, please.

18:42

The first piece of political intrigue: Matt Burton, Langwith Bar supremo, has a burger delivered directly to his vantage point in the front row of the hall. Is this an intimidation tactic? Only time will tell.

18:34

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the live Nouse blog of the 2009 YUSU hustings night 1. I'm here with the lovely Sian Turner and the ever-so-slightly-less lovely but still fairly lovely Jim Bulley. He's maybe 40% of Sian's lovely.

The atmosphere here in L/0/28 is tense tonight. The candidates are putting the final touches to their speeches. This is the evening that can make or break a campaign, so the pressure is on all those running to make it a good one.

Bear with us as we bring you live updates of every twist and political swerve this evening. We'll have speech highlights, pundit opinions and exclusive interviews with the candidates themselves. Watch this space!

54 Comments

Alex Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

RE Nouse coverage:

The manifesto wordles are a nice idea, but they tend to give undue prominence to candidates' surnames, which in a pictoral representation of word usage dwarf any actual policies. Spare a thought for the proposals of Mr Papadofragakis.

News Editor Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

The Wordles are pictoral representations of the manifestos they accompany. The prominence of certain words symbalises how often each word is used. Obviously the surnames are the most prominent as they are used throughout the article.

Beverly Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Students have often complained that they know little about NUS or who their delegates are. What would you do to improve this?

Annon Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Vote Ron for Chair

Dan Taylor Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Genuine question: How realistic do you think 3.00am licences actually are?

Bourbaki Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Is it really that time again? Oh dear.

Somebody Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

David Levene gave a great speech for chair! It sounds like he'll do a really good job - not just chair the meetings, but actually make an effort to get people talking to each other, and work to create a less confrontational, more collaborative union.

Ecoperson Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Question for E&E:

Duck, or goose?

Will Jason Rose be campaigning for the universal suit/trainers look?

Campaigners Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Of all those policies, which will you prioritise?

Nick Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I was impressed by Levene at the Hilary Benn talk, managed the crowd very well, he'll make a good Chair.

A question for all the Student Activities officers when they come on later, how do you intend to ensure the long-term future of Kids Camp?

Chris Etheridge Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I must point out that my point about efes went slightly wrong. I intended to say that it is difficult enough as it is staggering home eating efes after drinking, without having to contend with poorly lit and surfaced walkways.

Chris Etheridge

In no way did I intend to criticise students for eating efes or drinking:).

Jason Rose Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

""It's unrealistic at the very least" says professional York political pundit and celebrity come dancer Dan Taylor, with characteristic understatement, of Jason Rose and Chris Etheridge's gargantuan list of campaign targets."

And related quotes.

Those weren't our campaign proposals. They were the CURRENT policies that were passed by UGM. My point about us having a lot on our plate already is that we are mandated to, and will, campaign for these policies.

Which will we priorities? Several. Sorry it's a rubbish answer but we'll focus on Tuition Fees nationally, better cycle lanes and more street lighting for the council and various things to different section of our university. All policies I read out are not our own and, even though I don't think we should graduate in the Minster, I will still campaign with Chris for it. Don't worry about how much I can get done - I've shown that I can multitask pretty effectively in the last year!

Oliver Lester Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Sport Candidates What's more important; participation or success?

David Levene Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the nice things Nouse and commenters are saying!

I was a touch nervous about NUS delegate speeches, there are so many heavyweights going for it, but I guess it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy!

Sned's Buddies Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I'm afraid I find your commentary less than impartial. If you feel your shoddy journalism is to serve the purpose of creating some sort of level playing field I'd keep my comments to myself!!

Michael Callis Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

you're targeting sned for abuse when his answers have been no more vague or nervous than the other candidates at various points. he's got enthusiasm and is giving honest answers, which you seem to think makes him fair game for mocking on a level comparable with our banterous cheering. you lived with johnson and are hardly impartial. stop making me mad, woolf!

Student Activities;

Kids camp has been mentioned on all the candidates manifesto.

(1) Have you ever attended Kids Camp or Kids Club, and if not, why not?

(2) How will you plan on safe guarding Kids Camp?

Thanks!

RAGtime Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Serious question:

How do you think RAG and Student Action can work with colleges to provide welfare-friendly non-alcoholic events during freshers week?

Michael "Stash" Leahy Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Actually, it was the idea behind Salvation that I said was a good idea. Looking out for the social lives of your members? Yes please. Ziggy's is also a winner. Combining the two, who knows where we could go...?

Anonymous Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Surely "I'll make you a sandwich" qualifies as social bribery...?

Not Jason Rose Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Tom Scott asked me to remind everyone that open drink containers are not allowed in the hustings lecture theatre.

Thank you and good night. ROFL.

Post edited by a moderator.

That's so not me.

Well? It's a serious POI.

Tom and Henry... lookin good tonight, York's hottest new couple?

Rosamund Wood Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

How will the free ftr services between campus sites work? I can't see a private company offering free services to the students conductors seem to loathe on Wednesdays as it is.

Read the info Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

The uni has to provide a transit system as part of the planning, so extending & subsidising the FTR will cover that.

Tom Wood Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Students in general eat poorly; a lot of junk and fast food. How would you promote healthy eating on campus?

Needs Loosening Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

the event should not have been in here it should have been in a bar, the atmosphere would have been better, drinks would be allowed and the like and DJ presidential candidate BUSHBY would be performing.

Would like to remind our dear chairs that 'heckling' is negative, Sharpy's innovative fan club are clearly 'supporting'.

I agree with the above. It was a lot better in Derwent bar last year.

Seriously though guys, please refrain from bringing in open drink containers into the lecture theatre. It's not big and it's not clever.

Gordon Ramsay Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Has anyone seen Tom Scott cook a full english breakfast on an iron? No?

Well check it out here.

http://www.tomscott.com/iron/

I for one am quite proud that our "president" pirate can cook simple meals with peculiar equipment. If he was running again, as a joke of course, he would get my vote!

Campus Ken Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

It's a shame I retired from cutting student's hair this year because by the looks of things, the Pirate might need a bit of a trim.

When i say "a bit of a trim" i really mean to sort that mess out.

Healthy Eater Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Not feeling Tom Scott and his iron's love for the healthy eating buzz, clock the amount of oil!

Mario Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Funny you should mention Subway, can you ask the candidates do they prefer a 6 incher or a foot long?

Guniness World Records Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Well done George!

Our stats are in and George has just broken the world record for most words per minute, a staggering 2,354 per minute!

Gosh, that's a lot of words, isn't it?

Once again, Well Done George!

Don't go Henry!

Guinness World Records Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Alright George, you've already broken the record- you can give your voice a break now!

George Papadofragakis Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I'll take your point. Too fast for live-blogging at least, as most of my answers have not been included and the only thing reported from my speech is my reference to student disenchantment as 'the elephant in the room'.

George, I'm afraid we simply could not type as fast your rhetoric. I think we presented your opinions as best we could in the time we had. Apologies if it seems like you got less coverage than other candidates.

For more information on George's policies, as well as those of other candidates, do check out the candidate profiles which now include all manifesto pledges; http://www.nouse.co.uk/elections/candidates

Don't worry, I was not complaining.

Incidentally, using a previous speech I just calculated that I am speaking at a rate of approximately 200 words per minute, i.e. at about 3.3 words per second. Presumably, the accent doesn't help either.

Leave a Reply Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Shanks and Bretts actually made hustings worth coming to tonight. Great performances and well done to them both.

And of course to the other candidates. I'm sure people can find faults with all candidates but most came across really well. There are going to be some tough battles before the end of next week!

A. Catsambas Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

A question to all NUS delegate candidates: if you are all so keen on the idea of UGMs overidding your personal opinions, what difference does it make which ones of you get elected? In the end, if you will not represent your own opinions, but will just support UGM motions, any candidate will do, as long as they can speak english...
Surely, when voting for a delegate, we vote for the one we believe has the soundest opinions. If a candidate's opinions do not matter, there's no point in voting anyone in particular.
A.

Daniel Carr Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Aris,

I disagree completely. Even if everyone votes according to policy passed at UGM, as they should, there are key differences to be considered when voting.

Some candidates may be more eloquent than others, and hence better able to express the opinions of York students. Some may be better informed on key issues, again putting them in a better position to represent our students. Some may have a vast amount of experience on NUS or other committees.

Also, not all issues at the Conference will have directly relevant policy, and we need to select candidates who will choose the right stances and pursue our aims in the right manner on these issues also.

Let's not confuse acting in a proper democratic manner with having no discretion or differentiation between candidates whatsoever. It does still matter who we elect.

Chris Northwood Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I'm not even sure if whipping is democratic - it's just as flawed as America's electoral college system. Let's say we have a UGM that passes 60/40. To be truly representative of York students 4 of our 7 candidates would vote in the way indicated by the UGM, and the other 3 against it. That's truly representative and what whipping eliminates.

"Surely, when voting for a delegate, we vote for the one we believe has the soundest opinions. If a candidate's opinions do not matter, there's no point in voting anyone in particular."

I disagree. I'm involved in the majority of UGMs this week because I think that they're important issues. BUT I wouldn't trust every candidate to follow through with what they've been mandated to do. There are policies from two years ago that have been forgotten because they weren't election promises of the current Officers and this is why I outlined the current policies.

For my position you need to elect someone you can trust to campaign for what you want and *successfully* campaign.

For NUS delegates, it *shouldn't* matter who you elect but unfortunately it will. From personal experience, candidates do disagree and at National Conference there are a LOT of motions that haven't even been whispered in York. It does matter who you vote on, though I could see the point of view that their policies may be kind-of irrelevant since their job is to represent students!

Daniel,
most of the delegates were eloquent enough to express their views in a clear fashion, so there's no difference on this aspect.
In addition, it is sort of given that all candidates are informed enough, given that they have the motivation to stand for the position.

Furthermore, I agree with Chris. Each one of us will vote for the person we feel will represent OUR views, not the views imposed by UGMs! Delegates should not be whipped by UGMs, they should vote according to their personal views, the very views for which they get elected.
A.

A Fruit Stall? Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

I know I may be way behind events but have only just had chance to watch the speeches etc. Surely Costcutter (and Millers, their supplier) will have something to say about a Union-run frauit stall on campus. It is usually the case that campus based supermarkets have exclusivity clauses in their contracts with the Uni, which often state that similar services cannot be provided in competition (a fruit stand would be competition I am sure).

Does anyone know if this is the case here?

Jack Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

It's a shit idea anyway. Costcutter has fresh fruit, so why do we need a stall selling it?

I've never used the word "fresh" to describe anything sold at Costcutters before...

Jack Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

It's fresh at the start of the week....