Sport

Mixed bag for York in Rugby Sevens

York secured some important victories in the Rugby Sevens admist treacherous conditions on Friday afternoon.

This afternoon's rugby action witnessed a mixed bag of results from the York perspective, although the teams will undoubtedly have been delighted to arrest the domination of Lancaster in previous Roses encounters, recording some impressive wins along the way.

A furious 90 minutes of Sevens action, played out in treacherous conditions, commenced with the Men's 3rd team out-battling their Lancaster opponents 24-17, so obtaining a potentially priceless point for the ever-fluctuating overall standings. In last year's competition, the Men's thirds offered the only glimmer of salvation for York in this event, but the momentum gained fromthis confident performance served as timely inspiration. In a febrile Men's second team clash, York defended well and counterattacked to effect, despite having one player sin-binned, romping home by 33 points to 12, snatching another point for the cause.

Unfortunately, the first team were unable to complete a hat-trick of triumphs for York, going down with credit by 22 points to 10. On this occasion, the momentum generated by a Danny Stacey double - assisted by Tom Benbow and James Wilson - proved insufficient as Lancaster gained another two points in the Sevens showpiece.

In the women's matches, the York second team were comprehensively outmanoeuvred by their efficient opponents, succumbing 32-0. However, the balance was redressed by the firsts, who demonstrated great reserves of spirit to claim a narrow 14-5 win, thereby assuring that, by collecting four or the seven available points here, York have the initial oval-ball bragging rights.