Web Exclusives News

Poll suggests close race between Payne and Kunwar

The race for YUSU President is wide open according to a poll of voting intentions conducted by Nouse.

Laura Payne
Results suggest Laura Payne
holds a slim lead over her rival
The race for YUSU President is wide open according to a poll of voting intentions conducted by Nouse. A campus poll shows that over 40% of the electorate are still undecided as to which candidate to support.

The results also suggest that race is likely to be a two-way battle between YUSU Womens Officer Laura Payne and YUSU Entertainment Officer Nadeem Kunwar. Payne, who polled 24.8% of respondents, is only marginally ahead of Kunwar, with 22.0%.

"Obviously we have a lot more work to do, but this result is fantastic. It shows that Laura's message is getting through to students. I think that people are engaging with her view of a practical approach to the presidency," said Claire Hazelgrove, one of Payne's campaign managers.

Kunwar, however denied that the poll will have any impact on the final result. "It's still all to play for. I'm looking forward to my campaign hitting top gear in week nine," he said.

Mad Captain Tom Scott, who is campaigning as a pirate candidate, garnered the remaining 12.8% of respondent's support. "I'll be waiting to see how the results turn out later me hearties. The wind be changing mighty swiftly in these waters," said Scott.

All three candidates will be taking part in a debate hosted by the York Club of PEP at 17.15 this evening in P/L/001.

The poll conducted by Nouse surveyed 109 students across campus between 1300 and 1430 on Thursday afternoon.

jon Posted on Wednesday 16 Jan 2019

That's not a poll! That's a survey! You wanna see a poll, URY are running one at ury.york.ac.uk. Interesting (contradictory) results.

Oliver Lester Posted on Wednesday 16 Jan 2019

I have to agree with Jon on this chaps, this survey doesn't really show much guys. Personally, i think a lot of people won't publicly admit to supporting the Pirate when asked such as in your survey. But when it comes to voting privately in their own rooms different results are clearly evident (as seen on URY). I guess it'll be interesting if you had an online poll sometime soon, which reflects the actual voting methods in the YUSU elections and a bit later on in the campaign.

Miranda Posted on Wednesday 16 Jan 2019

those URY stats as they stand.....

Laura Payne 43 (35.25%)
Nadeem Kunwar 4 (3.28%)
Mad Cap'n Tom 66 (54.1%)
Re-Open Nominations 9 (7.38%)
Total 122

exciting times

Chris Northwood Posted on Wednesday 16 Jan 2019

That's quite surprising (the URY stats), considering that Kunwar is so low!

And if you check out the survey on the Yorker it shows another completely different set of results!

Jim Durdin Posted on Wednesday 16 Jan 2019

I can't help but feel this would all be more useful if someone had polled more than one-hundred-and-something-students

Anon Posted on Wednesday 16 Jan 2019

Not saying it's more accurate/better, but Vision's Facebook Forecast provides, at least, a considerably wider coverage of students...