Music

On The Up: Operator Please

"This young band's rapid progress is highlighted by the calibre of the bands they have supported, with Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs foremost on the list."

Formed in 2005, Operator Please are already well on their way to success with their energetic violin-wielding. Hailing from Australia, the quintet, aged between 16 and 19, have already picked up the Breakthrough Artist award back home for 'Just A Song About Ping Pong', which reached number 10 in the UK Indie Chart. Despite offering little to distinguish them from the ubiquitous ranks of bands embracing the now commonplace indie label, and setting aside the fact that their contract with Virgin/EMI means that they are anything but independent, 'Just A Song About Ping Pong' was an undeniably catchy pop song. And if their latest single 'Leave It Alone' is anything to go by, Operator Please haven't lost their ability to craft a memorable hook and with their forthcoming album Yes, Yes! Vindictive!, the band promises that their latest batch of songs will have a somewhat greater depth of meaning.

Nevertheless, this young band's rapid progress is highlighted by the calibre of the bands they have supported, with Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs foremost on the list. Impressive performances at Leeds and Reading festival only enhanced their reputation in the UK, and a stint as the opening band for the recent MTV2 Gonzo tour shows how far the band have progressed in a very brief period. Yes, Yes! Vindictive! is due for release in the UK on the 24th December.