Food & Drink Food & Drink Features Muse

Which Ben and Jerrys?

Mellowed by the gorgeous summer sunshine the Bar and Restaurant team decided to diverge from their normal Which? method of making it up as we go along. Instead, we assembled a motley crew of testers, all on a mission to gorge themselves on premium ice cream. Seven girls, one boy, four pints of ice cream and fifty plastic spoons later, we were able to draw some conclusions. Here's how we got on...

Peace of Cake, £3.78

This ice cream creation is based on the traditional strawberry cheesecake, so we were happy to find bits of 'real' fruit and biscuit when we delved our spoons into the tub. The extra crunch provided by the biscuit was loved by all, however we couldn't help thinking that the strawberry flavour was somewhat superficial. Despite the lack of strawberry taste sensation, this ice cream has real addictive potential.

Oh My Apple Pie, £3.78

This was a favourite with our esteemed editor who declared it to be "well nice". The rest of us were rather more discerning, and although we decided it was rich, sweet and refreshing, the "real pie crust" was a bizarre touch, as the salty nuggets of exploding pastry did not seem to bond with the cinnamon infused ice cream. Still, why go to the trouble of buying a separate pie and ice cream when you can buy the whole thing in one tub?

Phish Food, £3.78

This ice cream was the clear winner amongst our tasting panel. Incorporating smiley chocolate fish, caramel swirls, marshmallow nuggets and a whole lot of chocolatey goodness, it's not hard to see why the tub soon became empty. The sweet oozing caramel is nicely complemented by the soft marshmallows, and chocolate fish blend together nicely to provide the epitome of sickly treats.

Chocolate Therapy, £3.78

At this point, Kate had surrounded herself with what was left of the test cases. Through a mouthful of pie, cake and phishy goodness she was heard to mutter "needs more caramel". There was a general consensus that, although this was most appropriate for pyjama bound girls with boy trouble, the combination of textures made it super-sexy and the depth of the cocoa rich chocolate holds itself on one's tongue in a very naughty way.

Reviewers: Vicky Hallam, Lucy Peden, Toby Green, Marisa Tuffnell, Clare Croskery, Ellen Carpenter, Kate Smith & Jo Shelley