Muse

Gert & Henry's, JubberGate

Gert & Henry's is a family owned restaurant situated in the heart of York in a charming Tudor building. For great location in the centre of town, you'd expect the usual crap: pizza or pasta overcooked in a microwave served to you by students who obviously can't be bothered in a distressing chain restaurant.

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

However, Gert & Henry's offers a delightful surprise. Prepare yourself for home made food, which has never seen a microwave, in a warm, old-fashioned atmosphere, serving great Italian, Seafood and English food at a very reasonable price. I had the salmon wrapped in parma ham in a cream and watercress sauce, served with beautifully cooked fresh veg, whereas my mum had a traditional roast beef dinner. Both had a magic touch of looking pretty but also being very filling, two things you don't generally expect together at a restaurant.

I can only fault them on the lack of sherry in the home made trifle. The service was prompt, provided by the most charming Chinese waiters I have ever come across, who you just have to leave a generous tip for, since they genuinely brighten up your day! All in all, Gert & Henry's is a surprising concoction of good food, service and atmosphere at decent prices, considering its prime location.

Latest in Muse

3 Comments

Yorkie Posted on Friday 7 Mar 2008

Really nice building, is this place still open?

Joe Posted on Sunday 15 Mar 2009

Yeah, open - got a great meal here today - top notch

hello Posted on Monday 11 May 2020

nice