Muse

Gert & Henry's, JubberGate

Gert & Henry's is a family owned restaurant situated in the heart of York in a charming Tudor building. For great location in the centre of town, you'd expect the usual crap: pizza or pasta overcooked in a microwave served to you by students who obviously can't be bothered in a distressing chain restaurant.

However, Gert & Henry's offers a delightful surprise. Prepare yourself for home made food, which has never seen a microwave, in a warm, old-fashioned atmosphere, serving great Italian, Seafood and English food at a very reasonable price. I had the salmon wrapped in parma ham in a cream and watercress sauce, served with beautifully cooked fresh veg, whereas my mum had a traditional roast beef dinner. Both had a magic touch of looking pretty but also being very filling, two things you don't generally expect together at a restaurant.

I can only fault them on the lack of sherry in the home made trifle. The service was prompt, provided by the most charming Chinese waiters I have ever come across, who you just have to leave a generous tip for, since they genuinely brighten up your day! All in all, Gert & Henry's is a surprising concoction of good food, service and atmosphere at decent prices, considering its prime location.

Yorkie Posted on Sunday 16 Jun 2019

Really nice building, is this place still open?

Joe Posted on Sunday 16 Jun 2019

Yeah, open - got a great meal here today - top notch