Features Muse

Gambling in suits: stocks and shares

To some, stocks and shares evoke images of yuppies in flash striped suits barking into a mobile phone. To others, it will signal a way of life; the road to their first weighty pay cheque, but to most of us, stocks and shares will mean very little indeed, if anything at all. But it doesn't need to be this way. The stock market can actually not only become a fun, new form of legal gambling but, if properly understood, could be the ticket to picking up a hefty financial reward in the process.

To some, stocks and shares evoke images of yuppies in flash striped suits barking into a mobile phone. To others, it will signal a way of life; the road to their first weighty pay cheque, but to most of us, stocks and shares will mean very little indeed, if anything at all.

But it doesn't need to be this way. The stock market can actually not only become a fun, new form of legal gambling but, if properly understood, could be the ticket to picking up a hefty financial reward in the process. The success of City Society, which was recently set up for students who want to work in the city, reflects the interest of students in the financial market. Forget the National Lottery, scratch cards and poker, it's stocks and shares which are the real gamble.

Those unfamiliar with the stock market could be put off, deeming it too risky, deciding instead to place their hard earned cash into the security of the bank or building society. But this isn't investing, it's merely saving. To make your money, you have to be prepared to risk it. However, if you do your homework properly and work out the odds, the risks involved could be greatly diminished and, you'll stand a far better chance of winning.

The stock market is the major driving force of the British economy, with some 2,300 companies listed on the London Stock Exchange. At its most simplistic, the price of a share will rise if there are more buyers than sellers. Also, as a business grows, its profits will increase its share price. Corporate profits are the major determinant of a share's value, and wise-minded investors always look to the future market, rather than to profits of the past.

James Solomon, a third year History student who wants to work in banking, believes the main reason students are not more involved in the stock market is simply because most don't have the spare money to invest:
"Most students are on a really tight budget, and even if they do know about investing and researching the market, which I doubt most do, they simply can't spare the money to do it".

However, the idea that you have to be a millionaire to invest in the stock market is just a myth. In reality, you can spend as much or as little as you like, even if you want to invest as little as a pound.

So why not just give it go? Who knows, you might even find you're quite good and become a billionaire before you're thirty. Besides, what else is your student loan for?

Agen Poker Resmi Posted on Sunday 12 Jul 2020

This site really amazing, make my job so easy to work ;)