News

Students parade the streets of York in the annual RAG bash

RAG PRESIDENT Mary Gaunt declared the annual RAG parade "a complete success" as nearly PS1,300 was raised over the course of a colourful day. The York public were treated to the sight of seventy-five students dressed as characters from their favourite musicals to raise money for the various charities supported by RAG.

RAG PRESIDENT Mary Gaunt declared the annual RAG parade "a complete success" as nearly £1,300 was raised over the course of a colourful day. The York public were treated to the sight of seventy-five students dressed as characters from their favourite musicals to raise money for the various charities supported by RAG.

The processions started and ended at Clifford's Tower, winding its way around the station and down Parliament Street. Participating student, Lauren Rice, commended "the fantastic atmosphere. It's nice to get off campus and do something that helps the whole community. As students we are very privileged, so it is nice to give something back."

The parade was the highlight of a packed RAG week which consisted of numerous fundraising activities including a 'blagathon' and a special Club D. Gaunt estimated the total raised as around £5,400.

The money is split between ten supported charities, and the money from the parade will go to York One World Linking Association and the York and North Yorkshire Community Foundation.